Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
What does wee wriggler mean? As in "He may look cute but he was a wee wriggler" or "Why he even denied it in the first place is beyond me - she's a stunning wee wriggler". Sounds like a bad thing...

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does wee wriggler mean? As in "He may look cute but he was a wee wriggler" or "Why he even denied it in the first place is beyond me - she's a stunning wee wriggler". Sounds like a bad thing...

Some more context would help. It sounds as though 'wee' is being used to mean little/small - mostly dialectal in England, common in Scotland. 'Wiggler' in the context of 'truth' suggests it could be a typo for 'winkler' (to 'winkle out the truth' is an idiom).

b

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

To me 'wriggler' sounds like an affectionate term, talking about a baby, or a pet. From the verb 'wriggle', describing movement. If it's a pet, it would mean that whenever you tried to pick it up it would try to free itself by wriggling it's body. If it's a baby, then it's describing how the baby moves it's limbs.

That's what I'd say at least. 'Wee' is most likely 'little/small'. In Scotland, 'wee' is used almost exclusively in place of 'little/small' among speakers.

What I took from the 'Why he even denied it anyway' sentence, is that a person has denied ownership of said 'wee wriggler'. What that is, exactly, I don't know - his daughter? his pet gerbil?

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
(Not a teacher)

To me 'wriggler' sounds like an affectionate term, talking about a baby, or a pet. From the verb 'wriggle', describing movement. If it's a pet, it would mean that whenever you tried to pick it up it would try to free itself by wriggling it's body. If it's a baby, then it's describing how the baby moves it's limbs.

That's what I'd say at least. 'Wee' is most likely 'little/small'. In Scotland, 'wee' is used almost exclusively in place of 'little/small' among speakers.

What I took from the 'Why he even denied it anyway' sentence, is that a person has denied ownership of said 'wee wriggler'. What that is, exactly, I don't know - his daughter? his pet gerbil?

Well, the first one is a woman talking about her dog...so I guessed that it may look cute, but had a strong "personality".
The second one is an actor talking about his girlfriend. I don't remember exactly, but I think he had denied being dating her.

To me, it sounded like a bad thing to say, because of the first sentence...but it doesn't fit with someone talking about his girlfriend, besides, it's preceded by the word "stunning".

Thanks to both for answering! :-D

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The second one is an actor talking about his girlfriend. I don't remember exactly, but I think he had denied being dating her.

To me, it sounded like a bad thing to say, because of the first sentence...but it doesn't fit with someone talking about his girlfriend, besides, it's preceded by the word "stunning".

Thanks to both for answering! :-D

If she's 'stunning' she's very attractive - nothing negative about that. But why's she a 'wriggler'? Is she a pole-dancer? I've never met the expression, but it would fit.

b

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She's bait?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This 'related story' suggests pole-dancing may well figure on her cv.
SEE hot Heroes babe Hayden Panettiere stripping off in video for a sizzling shoot

Read more: [there was a link here, but I feel dirty enough just visiting the Sun's site; I'm certainly not going to be their pimp as well ;-)]

Come to think of it, anyone this rag calls 'lovely' probably makes money by taking her clothes off.

b

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
This 'related story' suggests pole-dancing may well figure on her cv.

Come to think of it, anyone this rag calls 'lovely' probably makes money by taking her clothes off.

b

OMG, I'm more confused now :-D. I came across this expression writing an essay on the changes in language/expression in different British newspapers. When I tried to search for it online, I only found the other sentence about the dog...:roll:.
I agree about the Sun, though.
Anyway, I don't think I'll ever use "wee wriggler" in a conversation..or in any other form of communication, really.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you mean she's been used as a bait...or she's like a bait for him?

I saw 'wee wriggler' used elsewhere when I searched for worms, etc, used as fishing bait, so her attractiveness could be comparable, I suppose. The idea of 'bait' as attractiveness or beauty does exist- young girls who may be under the legal age of consent but don't look it are jailbait, for instance. It could also mean that he has got her on his hook like either a fish or bait.

Either way, I think you're right not to adopt the phrase.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I saw 'wee wriggler' used elsewhere when I searched for worms, etc, used as fishing bait, so her attractiveness could be comparable, I suppose. The idea of 'bait' as attractiveness or beauty does exist- young girls who may be under the legal age of consent but don't look it are jailbait, for instance. It could also mean that he has got her on his hook like either a fish or bait.

Either way, I think you're right not to adopt the phrase.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.