Well, the tickets are supposedly in the mail.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
When I looked up the meaning of 'supposedly' I found that Cambridge dictionary has used the same example sentence for two different meanings.

1) Used to show that you do not believe that something you have been told is true:
"Well, the tickets are supposedly in the mail."

2) According to what someone told you, or according to what is believed by many people to be true:
"The tickets are supposedly in the mail."

How do I know if someone's being sarcastic (1) or just making a general statement (2)?
Is it the tone of voice?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's an air of suspicion in any use of the word. Not necessarily sarcasm. It could be "this is what they say is true, but I haven't verified it" or "They said this, but I won't believe it until I see it."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Poor show by Cambridge Dictionary to double up on this example.

You can use pretty much any word sarcastically if you want to. In this context, the same could be said of 'apparently'.

Yes, sarcasm comes largely through the tone of voice, but it also comes from other contextual cues, and from you just knowing what the speaker really means. Without adequate context, there's no way to tell from a written text alone.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting coincidence. I used "supposedly" earlier today to indicate my opinion of a person's intent. Yes, it indicates skepticism. You might use "supposedly" to indicate that (whatever "that" is) is what they want you to believe.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
A: When is the the next GTA coming out?
B: Supposedly next year. (as said by the CEO of Rockstar)

I used supposedly because games and movies are never released on time. Have I used the word correctly given the context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A: When is the the next GTA coming out?
B: Supposedly next year. (as This was said by the CEO of Rockstar.)

I used "supposedly" because games and movies are never released on time. Have I used the word correctly given the context?