Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A pop star who used to weigh moer than 200 pounds is now as slim as lightning. Here's a picture of her. It is said that she was strict with herself for shooting her new film and now she succeeded. Many of her fans, including me, have been impressed by her achievement and today I posted a picture of the "old her" and the "new her" by saying "What a stellar metamorphasis". I suppose native speakers would never say that, how would you phrase it?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by "strict with herself"? Do you mean she adhered strictly to a diet and exercise program?

I don't think I have ever encountered "slim as lightning" before, but it works for me. As for the other one, it needs an exclamation mark.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Silverobama I might say something like this following.

She adhered strictly to a diet and exercise program and transformed herself.

We use exclamation marks for, well, exclamations. (See below.)

What a great show!
What a stellar performance!
Amazing!
Incredible!
Unbelievable!
Very good!
That's great!

(I edited my post.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A pop star who used to weigh moer more than 200 pounds is now as slim as lightning. Here's a picture of her. It is said that she was strict with herself her diet and exercise regime for while/before shooting her new film and now she succeeded it certainly paid off. Many of her fans, including me, have been impressed by her achievement and today I posted a picture of the "old her" and the "new her", by saying "What a stellar metamorphosis". I suppose native speakers would never say that. How would you phrase it?
Note my corrections above.

Why do you think a native speaker wouldn't say that? It seems entirely appropriate to the situation to me.

Last edited:

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why do you think a native speaker wouldn't say that? It seems entirely appropriate to the situation to me.
For some reasons. First of all, I made up the phrase. Secondly, I think the phrase, these two words, stellar and metamorphosis, are pretty formal, they might not be appropriate in spoken contexts. I learned the word "metamorphosis" many years ago in the sentence "A larva metamorphosizes into a chrysalis and then into a butterfly". Later it turned out that the word "metamorphosize" was wrong and then I learned the correct forms "metamorphosis" and "metamorphose". I always believe that the word is pretty formal. Another reason is that a very nice member of our forum told me that since I want to improve my spoken English, I'd better avoid such phrases. I think he's right but I also want to learn or use the English words and phrases I memorized 20 years ago. I memorized around 20,000 words at that time. Now, most of which have become passive vocab. Last but not least, I think "What a stellar metamorphosis" sounds like the news title instead of a colloquial expression.

Anyway, I'll write this phrase down in my notebook. :) But meanwhile, could you please also suggest an alternative?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Silverobama Kudos to her! She did a great job! That's an amazing transformation. Yes!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For some a few reasons. First of all, I made up the phrase. (It's not a phrase. It's just two words that are part of a four-word sentence.) Secondly, I think the phrase, these two words, "stellar" and "metamorphosis", are pretty formal, so they might not be appropriate in spoken contexts. I learned the word "metamorphosis" many years ago in the sentence "A larva metamorphosizes into a chrysalis and then into a butterfly". Later, it turned out I found out/discovered that the word "metamorphosize" was wrong and then I learned the correct forms "metamorphosis" and "metamorphose". I always believed that the word is pretty formal. Another reason is that a very nice member of our forum told me that since I want to improve my spoken English, I'd better I should avoid such phrases. I think he's right but I also want to learn or how to use the English words and phrases I memorized 20 years ago. I memorized around 20,000 words at that time, no full stop here Now, most of which have become part of my passive vocabulary. Last but not least, I think "What a stellar metamorphosis" sounds like the a news title instead of a colloquial expression.
Please note my corrections above.
I'm not sure it's helping you to try and split vocabulary entirely into formal and informal. Long words or words not in everyday use aren't necessarily formal.
Of the two words you chose, "stellar" is probably used more than "metamorphosis" but they still both work in your context and just about all native speakers would know what you meant.
Anyway, I'll write this phrase down in my notebook. :) But Meanwhile, could you please also suggest an alternative?
What an amazing transformation!
What an incredible change!
What a spectacular difference!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think metamorphosis is probably too strong for you. Use transformation instead.

Also, I don't know why you want to describe the change as stellar What's that supposed to mean? What exactly are you saying is stellar? The woman or the transformation? I'd simply drop it if I were you.

What a transformation!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no problem with "stellar" as an intensifier. One definition is "exceptionally good; outstanding".

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 12.30.56.png

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have no problem with "stellar" as an intensifier. One definition is "exceptionally good; outstanding".

Since it means 'related to stars', I find it a bit confusing in this case. It feels like it's about the woman (a star) rather than the transformation. I'm not sure what Silverobama really means.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It can mean that but when used as an intensifier, it doesn't. I hear "stellar" used in a similar way to "outstanding", "amazing", "fantastic" a lot these days.

I watched you play tennis yesterday. You played a stellar match!
That interviewee gave some stellar responses to my questions. I'm going to offer her the job.
That's a stellar wine. I've just bought twelve bottles.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It can mean that but when used as an intensifier, it doesn't.

Yes, it can be used without any reference to stars at all. I don't disagree with that. But in this case, since we're talking directly about a star, don't you think that's what Silverobama is trying to get at?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it can be used without any reference to stars at all. I don't disagree with that. But in this case, since we're talking directly about a star, don't you think that's what Silverobama is trying to get at?
Ah, I see. You think Silverobama is attempting a sort of pun! That's possible. @Silverobama - did you use "stellar" to fit with "pop star"?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Ah, I see. You think Silverobama is attempting a sort of pun! That's possible. @Silverobama - did you use "stellar" to fit with "pop star"?
Sorry, but no pun intended. I'll write down all your other suggestions in my notebook.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So what did you mean by 'stellar'?