Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
outstanding, brilliant, amazing, astounding.

You mean surprising? Hard to believe? Impressive? How can someone losing weight be 'outstanding' or 'brilliant'? I don't get what you mean.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's quite admirable that she made a commitment and stuck to it.

@Silverobama Do you like my suggestion in post #9?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
outstanding, brilliant, amazing, astounding.
All of those would work for me before "transformation" and your "metamorphosis" in the original context. I don't think one has to be surprised (jutfrank's post #21) in order to consider someone's dramatic weight loss any of the four words you gave above.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
@Silverobama Do you like my suggestion in post #9?
@Silverobama Kudos to her! She did a great job! That's an amazing transformation. Yes!
I do, but I don't know the meaning of "kudos". Most importantly, I'm trying to learn both AE and BE in our forum. So I was just waiting for some BE teachers' opinions about this.
You mean surprising? Hard to believe? Impressive? How can someone losing weight be 'outstanding' or 'brilliant'? I don't get what you mean.
I suppose so. It's just incredible, surprising and impressive, I think I can use all these three words together to describe Jialing's (the pop star) losing weight. I only said in the OP that she used to weigh more than 200 pounds and now she's slim.

Here's the thing, it's really not easy for her ( a once-fat-person) to lose weight, you know, I never comment on what they are (people who try to lose weight) doing because it's really not easy. I tried to lose 20 pounds last year and that almost drove me crazy. I was a vegan at that time, I didn't include oil in my diet either. I firmly believe that it's pretty healthy to be a vegan but I wasn't doing it right. I failed and I felt pain in my foot and later I realized there was something wrong with the metabolism. I lost 20 pounds but I was still fat, couldn't reach the normal BMI.

In short, it's just not easy for a person to lose weight. Many overweight people I know were trying to lose weight, by exercising, going on a diet, etc, they failed. What might interest you is that Jialing, the pop star, left a note about how she felt during the process of losing weight at the end of her recent film, she used "Hellish, To hell with..., what the hell" several times to record how suffering she was when shooting the film, the film is about an overweight woman who slimed down and became a boxer finally. It's really amazing, inspiring, impressive, surprising and incredible if you know how chubby she used to be. She was a comedian, you know, simply because of her round body, gave people a strong sense of hilariousness.

Losing 20 pounds is not easy, let alone more than 100 pounds. Her extraordinary achievement hinges on perseverance, tenacity, and the willingness to make herself a better person. She used to please audience and now she just needs to please herself. Why can't we glorify a woman who has sacrificed a lot to make herself a better person? During the process (it was one year, according to her) of losing weight, she couldn't hang out with her friends because the contract with the film company. No one was supposed to see her or she would be fined. She used to be fat and people had been impressed by her stature and now she's silm, but before the film released, she had to stay home. She suffered a lot for the film. :)

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Silverobama She gave up something to get something else. (I wouldn't call what she did a sacrifice.)

American English and British English are mostly alike.

I'm pretty sure the British speakers on this forum are familiar with "kudos".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Some people seem to think that kudos is the plural of kudo, but what might a kudo be? In fact kudos is singular, the ancient Greek word for praise.