What are the most frequently used & natural comparative & superlative forms of Insane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What are the most frequently used & natural comparative & superlative forms of Insane

Like we have the following forms of the adjective sane.

Normal
Comparative
Superlative
Sane
Saner
Sanest

What are the grammatically correct, most common and the most natural forms of the adjective insane?

Normal
Comparative
Superlative
Insane
insaner
insanest
Insane
more insane
most insane

I looked at the link here.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/insaner

But there are a lot of things on the internet that are enough to make someone confused. So it's better to ask native speakers how they use them in the most natural ways in their English speaking countries.

Here is my Conclusion

I think unlike "sane", "insane" is two-syllable word, that's why "more insane" and "most insane" or better choices but still I'm not an expert so only native speakers can give me the right answer.

Regards,
Aamir Tariq

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: What are the most frequently used & natural comparative & superlative forms of In

Some of those two syllable adjectives can follow either rule, and it's the speaker's choice which to follow.

I think I'd personally go with the 'er/est' version for 'insane', but I'm not at all bothered to hear the 'more/most' version. I'm sure others will disagree, and we'll still all be correct.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Re: What are the most frequently used & natural comparative & superlative forms of In

Some of those two syllable adjectives can follow either rule, and it's the speaker's choice which to follow.

I think I'd personally go with the 'er/est' version for 'insane', but I'm not at all bothered to hear the 'more/most' version. I'm sure others will disagree, and we'll still all be correct.

You mean both the versions are grammatically correct, formal and natural. Thanks for clearing my confusion. I would also like to hear from native English speakers from the UK and Australia too if they prefer one version over the other.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Yes, who, in their right mind, would need to compare the degree of insanity unless one is doing a research in psychiatry?

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

Does it really matter? The word "insane" is an antiquated meaningless term.

Do you mean insane is no longer used in English speaking countries and it has become outdated? But I have heard this term in English movies.

Secondly, in your example you typed "He is insaner than she is."

Wouldn't it be correct had you said,
"He is insaner than her"?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

'Insane' is still commonly used as a synonym for 'crazy', outside of any clinical definitions. It's a common way of expressing disbelief or disagreement.

Anybody who has spent time in public can attest that there most certainly is a wide range of degrees of craziness from the person merely mumbling to themselves to the coked-out meth-head strung out on bath salts eating people's faces. Somewhere in between lie the People of Wal-Mart

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Click here and you will see that insane is not as common as it used to be, and that insaner and insanest are rarely, if ever, used.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

Yes, who, in their right mind, would need to compare the degree of insanity unless one is doing a research in psychiatry?

Whether somebody would or wouldn't need to compare the degree of insanity under the normal circumstances unless he or she is doing a research in psychiatry is a totally different topic that can be discussed in much greater detail in general discussions forum. My question was rather related to English grammar. Now, when somebody is a passionate learner and he gets to learn different rules of grammar, certain questions may arise in his mind that can be related to the structure of certain words and sentences. I didn't find the comparative and superlative forms of the adjective "insane" and since I've been taught that "more" and "most" are added to form comparative and superlative forms of two-syllable adjectives, but at the same time knowing that in case of "sane", "saner" is the comparative and "sanest" is the superlative form, my hunger to learn and my passion to correct myself made me brought it up on this forum, because there is no better place to discuss these things other than forums like UsingEnglish.com. And I always love to seek guidance from language experts on this forum and it helps me a lot.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan

'Insane' is still commonly used as a synonym for 'crazy', outside of any clinical definitions. It's a common way of expressing disbelief or disagreement.

Anybody who has spent time in public can attest that there most certainly is a wide range of degrees of craziness from the person merely mumbling to themselves to the coked-out meth-head strung out on bath salts eating people's faces. Somewhere in between lie the People of Wal-Mart

Exactly, that's what I was thinking too that it is used as a synonym for "crazy". Like an angry person in a movie can say "Are you insane?" to a person he is being angry at. And it is very common in Hollywood movies. And I was totally unaware of the clinical terms like "schizophrenia insaner" as well as "dissociative identity disorder", those terms made me a little confused but I looked them up in online dictionaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.