Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Is this question natural if I want to ask them what the degrees of their eyeglasses (left and right) are? And why?

What are your eyeglasses corrections?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What is the power of your glasses?
I think "eyeglasses" is used only in the US.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why do you need to know the strength of somebody's glasses? I consider it to be nobody's business but the optician's and the patient's.

In all my years as a native speaker of British English and a citizen of the UK, I have never been asked this question, and know of nobody else who has ever been asked it. I wouldn't know the answer as I have never needed to — my optometrist (Seymour Clearly) gives me a prescription (which I don't understand or need to understand) after my annual eye test and he sends it the manufacturer who makes my spectacles according to the details on said prescription.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I might ask such a question if I was already having a conversation about glasses/contact lenses. In that case, I'd ask "What's your prescription?" or "What strength are your glasses/contacts?"
I agree with Rover that it's not a common question.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've had several conversations with people about how well we see and what prescriptions we have. It isn't a particularly unusual thing to talk about, not that that really matters anyway.

I'd also say 'What's your prescription?'

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd also say 'What's your prescription?'
Like Rover, I wouldn't have the faintest idea of my answer to that question.

That's possibly why I'd never ask it - the answer would mean nothing to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only reason I know exactly what my prescription is is that I have my eyes tested and get the prescription from my optometrist, then I go home and order my glasses/contact lenses online from elsewhere. They're much cheaper that way. You have to enter all the information from your prescription on the order form.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suspect that in certain countries other than the UK, it's normal to know what your prescription is, for whatever reason that may be.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's somewhat common to refer to one's visual acuity -e.g. 20/20, 20/30, 20/15, etc. I've at least heard it mentioned occasionally since there are sometimes standards for various licenses and jobs.

As for your actual eyeglass prescription, however - I doubt many people would know it, or even understand it. I've needed correction since I was a child, and to this day I couldn't tell you what my prescriptions ever were. I can't recall having heard anyone mention theirs, either.

If anyone wants to learn, this page has a very understandable breakdown.

Sometimes people buy those over-the-counter non-prescription reading glasses, and might know what number they need for them. Apparently they're measured in something called 'diopters', but they're simply labeled as "+1", "+2" (in increments of .25), etc. Even then, it's usually just trial and error until you find the ones you like best, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone knew they needed "2.5 strength reading glasses".

I may grudgingly have to invest in my first pair one of these days. That lasik surgery performed in my early 20's has grown steadily less effective as the years pass.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"What strength are you glasses/contacts?"
In your second sentence, I notice that you used "What strength are you glasses?" Did you mean "What strength are your glasses?"

Last edited: