[Grammar] What can I say in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimroney

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello. I'm Korean and studying English. Please understand my poor English.

Suppose I receive a call from my friend while cleaning my room.
In this situation, if I stop cleaning my room at the moment of receiving the call, can I tell "I've cleaned my room for 1 hour" to my firend?

I learned that 'present perfect tense' is used for a situation that started in the past and continues in the present.
My situaion (cleaning room) is started in the past but do not continue in the present.

a. I've cleaned my room for 1 hour.
b. I cleaned my room for 1 hour.

What is the solution?

Also, my teachers and many Internet articles in Korea say:
If you use a present perfect tense, the sentence implies that 'you do someting from the past until the present including the moment of speaking'.

Is it right?
"I've worked here for 3 years" implies that I'm still working here at the moment of speaking?

For your phone call, I'd say "I was cleaning my room. I'd been doing it for an hour before you rang!" To shorten it, you can say "I've been cleaning my room for an hour".

Does "I've worked here for 3 years" imply [STRIKE]ies[/STRIKE] that I'm still working here at the moment of speaking?

Yes, it does.

For your phone call, I'd say "I was cleaning my room. I'd been doing it for an hour before you rang!" To shorten it, you can say "I've been cleaning my room for an hour".

Thanks for your responding!
Can you check this sentence?
"I've loved you since last year, but I don't now"

Yes, it does.

Thanks for your answering!
Let me ask some questions.

Present perfect tense always imply that the situations still continue at the moment of speaking?

If the situation is changed at the moment of speaking or right before that, can I use 'Present perfect tense'?

Does the present [STRIKE]Present[/STRIKE] perfect tense always imply that the situations still continue at the moment of speaking?

If the situation is changed at the moment of speaking or right before that, can I use the present [STRIKE]'Present[/STRIKE] perfect tense? [STRIKE]'?[/STRIKE]

Sadly for English learners, few rules for using tenses apply 100% of the time. The present perfect can mean what you wrote. In other cases it describes a situation that has occurred at different times in the past. For example, The US dollar has been more valuable than the euro for several periods of time.

Does the present perfect tense always imply that the situations still continue at the moment of speaking?

Not precisely, although the present perfect does always convey a sense of continuation. There are three main uses for the present perfect.

One of them is as you say - to reference an action which began in the past but still continues until the present moment. Another is to describe in general life experiences. The third use is to reference recently completed actions which still influence the present moment.

You'll often see this simplified as unfinished actions versus finished actions (which lumps the last two above into one category).

So the exact event itself might not actually still be continuing until the present moment, but at least the experience or influence still continues until the present moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back