Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I understand that ONO means or nearest offer

What countries know this short form ONO? US UK AU CA all knows what is ONO?

If I want to say $500 or nearest offer, is it right to write in this way:
Asking price: $500 ONO

We use it in the UK.

If I want to say $500 or nearest offer, is it right to write in this way:
Asking price: $500 ONO

That's OK.

It is used as the Japanese surname

In America, we use OBO - or best offer. I had never seen ONO before now.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

We use it in the UK.

That's OK.

Just know about the other short form OBO - or best offer

Does UK people know what is OBO?

In America, we use OBO - or best offer. I had never seen ONO before now.

The little differences like these just keep emerging- I had never seen OBO.

There's a little town in central PA called "Ono." There is a convenience store there called the "O'Yes."

Otherwise, OBO is what is used here.

For me, in BrE, ONO means "Or Near Offer", not necessarily "Nearest". Of course, if a seller receives several offers below the asking price, it makes sense that they would actually accept the one nearest the asking price but, nonetheless, I have always understood it as "near".

That makes sense to me because if, for example, you were asking £1000 for something and someone offered you only £20 for it, but they were the only person to make an offer, theirs would actually be the nearest. However, "near offer" makes it clear that you expect offers to be close to the asking price and doesn't promise the item to the person who happens to offer the amount closest to the asking price.

Anyone from Australia or Canada here? Do you all use or near offer / or best offer?

I think I would just write out the words or near offer / or best offer.

I am sending out the email and I do not know if the person is from UK or US or other countries. Which one should I use? or which one is more popular?

Do UK people understand "or best offer"

Do US people understand "or near offer"

Thanks

I am sending out [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] an email ...
When you are paying by the word to advertise in newspapers, it makes sense to use an abbreviation - and to use the abbreviation common in the country in which the newspaper is read. If you are sending out an email, you don't have to think of saving money by abbreviating. You could write out in full what you want to say, such as, " Reasonable offers will be considered" or "I will acept the best offer received by date".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back