Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

I'm a singer. I am trying to make my "singing voice" sound American accent-wise. What does it sound to you like? British, American, foreign but some englishspeaking place, foreign but totally foreign?

Here's a video of me performing a popular song.

1drv.ms/1HVQVM4

Any tips on the accent are warmly welcome. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Hi Kamil,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your singing - you'll be pleased to hear that you don't sound at all like someone singing a pop song with a British accent! As you know British pop artists sing in what would be generally called an "American" style, so to me that is what you sound like.

Our American members will need to comment on whether you sound American to them.

I've listened to the song a few times and there are just a few words which, even sung in an pop style, seem to stand out as not quite right. They sound like they are pronounced with a slightly foreign accent. There aren't that many and, I think, if you can concentrate on tightening up pronunciation of these words, it will help improve things:

1. "The" often slips into sounding like "duh"
2. "They" often slips into sounding like "day"
3. "Sleeping" sounds a bit like "slippin" rather than "sleepin'"
4. "Match" sounds like "Murch"
5. "Up" sounds a bit like "ap"
6. "Waking" sounds like "Weking"

As you can see, these are small comments. I only wish I could sing and play the guitar like you can!

Kamil Sawejko

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks! I will definitely work on the sounds that you pointed out. I am glad, I sound somewhat "American style". Mission accomplished. But still, would like to hear an opinion of someone who is a native American. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.