Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Would you kindly tell me what does this woman want to say in these few seconds 8:48-9:6

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Apparently, you don't agree with her. Either that or you don't understand what she is saying. Which means you have something to think about. Or not.

If it was me I would also have to think about it. (It's not ordinary English.)

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Apparently, you don't agree with her. Either that or you don't understand what she is saying. Which means you have something to think about. Or not.

If it was me I would also have to think about it. (It's not ordinary English.)
Simply I understood every part in it but this. I couldn't understand or maybe catch the sentence itself and this doesn't mean that I don't agree or I have not to listen up to it, it means that I need some help to get this point 👍🏻 so would you kindly help me 😁

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"The phrase I kept getting is you can't bring that stuff through the gate, you can't love a love with all of that self-hatred ..." .

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Ameeraana I have never understood the appeal of motivational speakers. They make up phrases that are supposed to be motivational but are just a waste of time. This one laughs at her own jokes. (Probably nobody else does.)

You clearly have some things to work on. I recommend that you write shorter, simpler sentences.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The phrase I kept getting is you can't bring that stuff through the gate, you can't love a love with all of that self-hatred ..." .
You understood her better than I did. (Maybe my chewing gum is making too much noise. ☺)

I rather wish I didn't know what she said.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Simply I understood every part in it but this. I couldn't understand or maybe catch the sentence itself and this doesn't mean that I don't agree or I have not to listen up to it, it means that I need some help to get this point 👍🏻 so would you kindly help me 😁
Now that know what she said I wish I didn't.

Try:

I understand everything up to this point.

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Great, so would you kindly tell me what does she mean by this in your opinion? 😥

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
@Ameeraana I have never understood the appeal of motivational speakers. They make up phrases that are supposed to be motivational but are just a waste of time. This one laughs at her own jokes. (Probably nobody else does.)

You clearly have some things to work on. I recommend that you write shorter, simpler sentences.
What are the things that I have to work on them?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you kindly tell me what does this woman wanted to say in these few seconds from 8:48 to 9:6?
We can't tell you what she wanted to say, but we can tell you what she said. Is that what you need? I have underlined "9:6" because it's an impossible time stamp. Did you mean "9:06" (nine minutes and six seconds) or should there have been a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 before the 6?
Simply I understood every part in of it but this. I couldn't didn't/don't understand or maybe catch the sentence itself or perhaps I didn't hear it clearly. and This doesn't mean that I don't agree with her or I have not to listen up to it. It means that I need some help to get understand this point. so would you kindly Please help me.
Note my corrections above. I don't understand what you mean by the underlined part.
Great. so Would you kindly tell me what does you think she means by this? in your opinion?
Note my corrections.
What are the things that I have to work on? them?
Note my correction.

The corrections and comments above should give you a good idea of some of the things you need to work on.

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
I don't know, to be honest. That kind of stuff has never interested me.
Trilllllllions of thanks to you and others 🌹

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Trillions of thanks to you and others. 🌹
One thing you really need to stop doing is using an emoji instead of a closing punctuation mark. The emojis are quite annoying, in all honesty, but you must remember that they are not a substitute for a punctuation mark.

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
One thing you really need to stop doing is using an emoji instead of a closing punctuation mark. The emojis are quite annoying, in all honesty, but you must remember that they are not a substitute for a punctuation mark.
Yeah, I will avoid doing that next times. Thank you again without emoji.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yeah Yes, I will avoid doing that next times time. Thank you again, without an emoji.
Please avoid it every time, not just next time. Also, please note that the "Thanks" emoji is 🙏, and can be found by hovering over the "Like" button. The one with love hearts instead of eyes is really odd (I don't think it should be there but that's just my opinion). You almost certainly want to thank people, not suggest that you love them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@emsr2d2 I got myself some love recently, and I don't mind it. 😊.

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Please avoid it every time, not just next time. Also, please note that the "Thanks" emoji is 🙏, and can be found by hovering over the "Like" button. The one with love hearts instead of eyes is really odd (I don't think it should be there but that's just my opinion). You almost certainly want to thank people, not suggest that you love them.
It's an emoji to express my admiration of the speech not to express my love. 😅

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
She's summarising what she said last week about self-confidence, so you should listen to the previous video to know better what she means.

Status
Not open for further replies.