[Vocabulary] What does "to set objective" means here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdi 100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A theory Y manager believes that employees work for enjoyment. Employees do not need to be threatened; they work for the pleasure of working. The role that this type of manager needs to follow is to set objectives and then to reward employees as they meet these objectives.

What does "to set objective" means here?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you looked up "to set" and "objectives" to see if there are definitions which you can associate with a working situation?

Frank Merton

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Vietnam
I don't know. Give the guy a break and assume he or she has already looked up the words. I often find dictionaries of little help or even a hindrance. I assume he wants to get a better feel for the expression than one would ever get in reference books. For example, what would be the difference between, "Set objectives" and, "Set goals?" Why "set" rather than, say, "determine" or "assign" or some other similar verb?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We are happy to help members who have problem with dictionary definitions, but we want to encourage them to use a dictionary first. Some are not even aware that there are good dictionary sites such as OneLook: General dictionary sites.

We don't mind supplementing dictionaries and grammars, but we are not here to replace them. Wheel-reinvention seems rather a waste of time.

mehdi 100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank You for responding.
Yes, I do check every words and expressions by dictionaries before asking anyone to help. But, in this case, I'd like to know the exact meaning of the expression in the context.
My holistic understanding of the last sentence is something like this: the employee should be realistic and enjoy purpose at work; that’s what all employers are looking for. As a result, they do better at job, and employers, on the other hand, may encourage them by rewards (employers should provide conditions for employees to be realistic and have aims).

I think the word "objective" simply means to have a goal which is based on facts and not just an idea or any implication which is based on facts; that's why the word uses a lot at politics and law.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't know. Give the guy a break and assume he or she has already looked up the words. I often find dictionaries of little help or even a hindrance. I assume he wants to get a better feel for the expression than one would ever get in reference books. For example, what would be the difference between, "Set objectives" and, "Set goals?" Why "set" rather than, say, "determine" or "assign" or some other similar verb?
In fact, I think at this stage, to say that "to set objectives" means "to assign goals" would be quite adequate. I agree that "set objectives" would potentially be a difficult one to check in a dictionary, since "set" has been identified as the English word with the most meanings, and 'objectives' is rather abstract.

@OP: No, 'objectives' is plural. It doesn't mean 'fact-based'. It also doesn't mean to ensure that your microscope is at the correct magnification, although it could. It means roughly "to assign goals". If you need to know the difference between "set objectives" and "assign goals", I'm sure Frank could help.

mehdi 100

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank You Raymott.
Based on Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (5th Edition), Objective (adjective) means: Based on facts, or making a decision that is based on facts rather than on your feelings or beliefs; Objective (Noun): Something that you are trying hard to achieve, especially in business or politics. In my text, Objective is noun, so it's not talking about something ’fact-based'.
I think I understand

Status
Not open for further replies.