Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I went to a public speaking club tonight and listened to some speeches. Alicia talked about protecting the environment. She taught us a way to make the plastic use less room so as to reduce plastic pollution. She used some plastic bags and then folded them up into small triangle shapes. She said she had learned that way online.

I pick up trash from time to time and I think I'm an environmentalist too. I asked her a question after she finished her speech:

What else do you do, besides teaching us how to fold up the plastic bags, to save the environment?

She said "I don't have time to pick up trash. However, the less frequently I use plastic bags, the better our environment will be".

Is my italic question natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I went to a public speaking club tonight and listened to some speeches. Alicia talked about protecting the environment. She taught us a way to make the plastic use take up less room so as to reduce plastic pollution. She used some plastic bags and then folded them some plastic bags up into small triangles. shapes. She said she had learned that way online.

I pick up trash from time to time and I think I'm an environmentalist too. I asked her a question after she finished her speech:

What else do you do, besides teaching us how to fold up the plastic bags, to save the environment?

She said "I don't have time to pick up trash. However, the less frequently I use plastic bags, the better our environment will be".

Is my italic question natural?

Note my corrections above.

Your italic sentence is OK, but I would reorder it to "What else do you do to save the environment, besides teaching us how to fold up plastic bags?"

I don't see how folding them helps the environment. Yes, the bags would take up less space in one's house but if people use the same number of plastic bags as they did before, it does nothing for the environment, regardless of how the bags are folded.

Status
Not open for further replies.