Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If we want to ask a person about their family members, is following a legitimate question?

Who else is in your family?

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It all depends on the context but the sentence given could easily be considered rather abrupt in BrE. You might ask a young person if they are living "at home" (meaning with their parents in BrE) or if they have siblings. With an older person you might enquire about children.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If we I want to ask a person about their family members, is the following a legitimate natural question?

Who else is in your family?
You need to make your question clearer. Are you asking the person which relatives live in the same house as them or are you including family members who live elsewhere?

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You need to make your question clearer. Are you asking the person which relatives live in the same house as them or are you including family members who live elsewhere?
I'm including all the family members. For instance, even if his children are studying at a college, and living in a hostel, I want that he should include his children in answer.

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I want that person should tell about all of their family members in single answer. For instance, the answer can be: My parents and a younger brother.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm including all the family members. For instance, even if his children are studying at a college, and living in a hostel, I want that he should include his children in answer.
Wow! In that case, get ready for a long answer. For example, if you asked me that, here's what you'd get:

There's just me at my place, but the rest of my family consists of my mum, my dad and his wife, three aunts, two great-aunts, two uncles, seven cousins, two second cousins, and loads of third cousins. (I also have lots of step-siblings, step-nieces and step-nephews, from my dad's second marriage.) All my family live in the UK except for one of my great-aunts, who lives in Turkey.

You need to be clear on what you mean by "family". Do you mean immediate family (parents and kids) or extended family (siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc)?

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Wow! In that case, get ready for a long answer. For example, if you asked me that, here's what you'd get:

There's just me at my place, but the rest of my family consists of my mum, my dad and his wife, three aunts, two great-aunts, two uncles, seven cousins, two second cousins, and loads of third cousins. (I also have lots of step-siblings, step-nieces and step-nephews, from my dad's second marriage.) All my family live in the UK except for one of my great-aunts, who lives in Turkey.

You need to be clear on what you mean by "family". Do you mean immediate family (parents and kids) or extended family (siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc)?
Okay. That's how you define family in UK. In India, by default it means the people with whom we live in the same house. How can I ask this question if I'm in UK?

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Why have you used 'which' for 'relatives'?
Don't we use 'which' only for non-living things?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Interrogative which can be used for people or things.
Relative which is for things only.