What exactly does the expression "to do sums" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
What exactly does the expression "to do sums" mean? Does it mean "addition", or does it include subtraction, multiplication and division as well?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
We need more context to be sure.
Sorry, I didn't give any context. I think my question is mainly about school. What sort of calculation do pupils at school do when doing sums?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Informally, if you 'do the sums', you do the calculations necessary to find some form of result. These calculations usually involve some sort of mathematical operations..
Subtractions and the like included? Not only addition? I've looked up in a dictionary but I can't understand this dictionary definition. It goes as "To do a sum is to calculate something". But also "a total amount made by addingseveral numbers or amounts together".

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I think I've got it but am not sure. Division, subtraction and so on are forms of sums, right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think I've got it but am not sure. Division, subtraction and so on are forms of sums, right?

Right.

sum n
  • one or more columns or rows of numbers to be added, subtracted, multiplied, or divided
(Collins Concise English Dictionary)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"to do sums" means to "sum up". This involves addition and subtraction, not the other operations. For example: add the amount of money taken in and subtract the amount going out.
Robert has supplied the American meaning. It means something else in British English.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
"to do sums" means to do addition exercises for homework or classwork, the way schoolchildren do.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It doesn't in BE. See post #8.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Addition and subtraction only, regardless of dictionaries. Subtraction is the addition of a negative number.

I think where members disagree here is on usage.

RobertJ is technically correct, but is thinking of the word in a strict academic sense. Other members (and dictionaries) are speaking of the general, common usage of the word, as it might be used by parents or elementary school teachers.

Remember that words don't ultimately have meaning outside of usage. Words are used to express meaning. The meaning comes from the way they are used.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hearing do your sums applied to operations other than addition and subtraction really does sound odd to an American ear. But the Queen didn't ask me when she created English, so I guess I'll just have to live with it. :)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note to students: the last two posts were written in jest; the Queen didn't create English, and she isn't infallible.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Lizzie (Mountbatten-)Windsor is infallible.

Lizzie (I call her Betty) isn't a Mountbatten, right? It's 'er ol' man what's a Mountbatten.

Status
Not open for further replies.