Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Why is the article omitted in the question: "what is race?" And when answering it should I omit it too? Should I use "the time when" with the article, "you do" or "you are doing" and "the best way" instead of "in the best way"?

"For me, a race is (the) time when you want to win and do/are doing everything in the best way that you can."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why is the article omitted in the question: "what is race?"
Without the article we have the non-count noun that has to do with physical characteristics.

It has nothing to do with a running competition.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Then they have a mistake there and I should use "a race"
Not a teacher

No they don't. The question is not at the link you gave, so I tried "what is race" site:iteslj.org/ and it led me to a page with that question, and the "race" is used there in the uncountable meaning. No article is needed.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher

No they didn't. The question is not at the link you gave, so I tried "what is race" site:iteslj.org/ and it led me to a page with that question, and the "race" is used there in the uncountable meaning. No article is needed.
As noted previously, "What is race?" is a different question than "What is a race?"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Rachel, why are you still answering the question 'what is a race? when the question is 'What is race?''

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have moved that follow-up question to its own thread because it had nothing to do with "What is race?" It was a question about a comment on a sentence in post #1 in the other thread (which also had nothing to do with the original question).

Status
Not open for further replies.