What is the difference between freak out and flip out?

Idk2222

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Germany
Okay, so I thought I knew the difference.

I believed that flip out was more versatile in the sense that it could be used to refer to anger (e.g. When my mother saw my died hair, she flipped out.) but it can also mean that someone was surprised (e.g. Upon learning that he had been promoted, he flipped out.

As for freak out, I was under the impression that it meant that someone reacted in a panicking way. (e.g. She freaked out when she learned that his son had a motorcycle accident or When the little boy noticed a spider crawling up his leg, he freaked out.)

But it turns out I was wrong. According to cambridge dictionary https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/freak-out, freak out is just as versatile as flip out and it can be used to refer to positive reactions as well.

Here are some examples from the dictionary where freak out refers to a positive feeling:

He freaked out when he heard he'd got the job.
This song just freaks me out whenever I hear it.
Here in Texas they freak out when there’s snow on the ground.
Her latest album just freaked me out.

"Flip out" is anger. "Freak out" is any number of strong emotional, irrational reactions.

(And generally speaking, southerners do not react positively to snow, unless they are children who had never seen it. The sentence about Texans reads to me as a negative reaction.)

"Flip out" is anger. "Freak out" is any number of strong emotional, irrational reactions.

(And generally speaking, southerners do not react positively to snow, unless they are children who had never seen it. The sentence about Texans reads to me as a negative reaction.)
Well that's what I thought but flip out can be used to express that someone was feeling a positive emotion. E.g. He flipped out upon learning about his promotion.

I'd say that 'freak out' is the more versatile in the sense that it can be used for a wider range of emotions. As Dave pointed out, 'flip out' really is reserved for anger and the subsequent loss of control.

Freak out doesn't necessarily have that loss of control that 'flip out' does, although it can. Regardless, it might be for reasons other than rage (such as fear, excitement, creepiness, or enthusiasm.)

Most of these would be considered negative without additional context.
He freaked out when he heard he'd got the job. More context is needed to determine if it's a positive or negative reaction.
This song just freaks me out whenever I hear it. Without more context, this sounds negative - it disturbs you somehow.
Here in Texas they freak out when there’s snow on the ground. As Dave mentioned, this is negative - they just don't know how to react to it.
Her latest album just freaked me out. Similar to the song example above, without additional context it would be taken as a negative reaction.

Upon learning that he had been promoted, he flipped out.

That would mean he became irrationally angry about being promoted, not surprised.

I'd say that 'freak out' is the more versatile in the sense that it can be used for a wider range of emotions. As Dave pointed out, 'flip out' really is reserved for anger and the subsequent loss of control.

Freak out doesn't necessarily have that loss of control that 'flip out' does, although it can. Regardless, it might be for reasons other than rage (such as fear, excitement, creepiness, or enthusiasm.)

That would mean he became irrationally angry about being promoted, not surprised.
But why negative? According to camridge dictionary, freak out can be positive. Also, why would he react with anger instead of excitement when learning that he got the job?

Also, according to this dictionary
https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/flip flip out can mean becoming excited.

I am really confused because you are saying things that are not in line with what the dictionaries are telling me.

flip out​

[phrasal verb] informal

: to become crazy or very excited or angry
  • I flipped out when I saw how they had changed my work.
  • She's going to flip out when she sees the great present I got her.

Dictionaries get their definitions from the way people use the language. It's not the other way around. I only consult a dictionary if I am unsure of something. Otherwise there is no need for it.

I am really confused because you are saying things that are not in line with what the dictionaries are telling me.
You can choose to stick rigidly to dictionary definitions or you can use this forum as an opportunity to learn how native speakers actually use the language. There's a lot of overlap, of course, but there's also usage that native speakers use and readily understand but can't be found in dictionaries.

We don't tend to use "flip out" in BrE but I'd use "freak out" to mean "become very scared/worried/anxious". For example, "Don't freak out but there's a really big shark swimming behind this boat!" and "I freaked out when I saw the size of the spider on my bedroom ceiling".

You can choose to stick rigidly to dictionary definitions or you can use this forum as an opportunity to learn how native speakers actually use the language. There's a lot of overlap, of course, but there's also usage that native speakers use and readily understand but can't be found in dictionaries.

We don't tend to use "flip out" in BrE but I'd use "freak out" to mean "become very scared/worried/anxious". For example, "Don't freak out but there's a really big shark swimming behind this boat!" and "I freaked out when I saw the size of the spider on my bedroom ceiling".
So you'd use flip out to convey that someone became angry? And you'd never use it to say that someone become excited?

I take it you'd use freak out in this sentence then: Upon learning about his promotion, he freaked out.

Upon learning about his promotion, he freaked out.
That would be weird. That is, it would be unless the person was unhappy with the promotion.

That would be weird. That is, it would be unless the person was unhappy with the promotion.
But you said it yourself that freak out can mean to be excited. So which one would you use here then??? Flip out or freak out??

One, I don't think I did say that. Two, I wouldn't use either one. Normally a person is happy about a promotion. So I would say that. If the person is unhappy about the promotion then "freak out" might be appropriate.

Despite what I said earlier, I can imagine using "freak out" to express such extreme delight that it makes me act a bit crazy.

OH MY GOD!!! I got the promotion. I'm over the moon! Seriously, when Helen gave me the good news, I completely freaked out and jumped all round the room hugging people! Woo hoo!

Despite what I said earlier, I can imagine using "freak out" to express such extreme delight that it makes me act a bit crazy.

Conversely, maybe he's just overwhelmed by the thought of the added stress or responsibility
John freaked out over his promotion because he wasn't sure if he could handle it. (Although, if he is freaking out about it, he probably can't handle it.:D)

And while I still wouldn't use 'flip out' for someone's own promotion, it could easily be used to speak of someone's reaction to another's promotion, especially if they dislike the promoted person or were hoping for the position themselves.

Tim flipped out when he heard John had gotten promoted to manager.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back