[General] What is the different between weak syllable a d strong syllable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadeck

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Mauritania
Current Location
Mauritania
What is the different between weak syllable a d strong syllable?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the [STRIKE]different[/STRIKE] difference between a weak syllable and a strong syllable?

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections above. You made the same errors in your thread title.

What do you already know about those terms?

ClareW

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A weak syllable is also called "an unstressed" syllable, and it's the part of the word (or sentence) which is less pronounced when we speak.

So in the sentence "That's a great idea", the word "a" and the syllable "a" on the end of "idea" are weak. However, the words "that's" and "great", and the syllables "i" and "de" from "idea" are strong, and you can hear them more easily.

Very often, weak syllables contain the schwa sound (sounds like "uh") so that we can say them more quickly in sentences.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A weak syllable is also called "an unstressed" syllable, and it's the part of the word (or sentence) which is less pronounced when we speak.

So in the sentence "That's a great idea", the word "a" and the syllable "a" on the end of "idea" are weak. However, the words "that's" and "great", and the syllables "i" and "de" from "idea" are strong, and you can hear them more easily.

Very often, weak syllables contain the schwa sound (sounds like "uh") so that we can say them more quickly in sentences.
You know as much about them as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.