[Grammar] what's different between in, into ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zubyvu123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
someday when i suffer on the internet, i see the sentence " cut lemon into half ", i wonder is it same meaning as cut lemon in half ?
btw, can i ask another question?
what's the meaning of the sentence " cut a apple to half
thanks for your reading

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]someday[/STRIKE] One day, when I was [STRIKE]suffer[/STRIKE] surfing [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] the internet, I [STRIKE]see[/STRIKE] saw the [STRIKE]sentence[/STRIKE] phrase "cut lemon into half". [STRIKE]I wonder[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] Does it have the same meaning as "cut lemon in half"?

[STRIKE]btw[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]By the way,[/STRIKE] Can I ask another question?
What's the meaning of the [STRIKE]sentence[/STRIKE] phrase "cut a apple to half"?

Thanks for [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] reading.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

First, please look carefully at all my correction above. I will explain them below, but first, please note that you must follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular pronoun).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark, exclamation mark or closing quotation marks.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Don't use non-standard abbreviations. You can write "By the way", but not "btw".

The other corrections are explained below:
When referring to a specific day in the past, use "One day".
"Suffer" is a totally different verb - you needed the verb "surf" and you needed it in the past continuous.
Don't start questions to us with "I wonder is it" - it's almost guaranteed that the rest of the sentence/question will be a mess. Simply ask us "Is it ...?" or "Does it ...?"
Neither of the strings of words you quoted are sentences. They are phrases.
None of them are natural or grammatically correct. "Cut lemon into half" incorrectly uses "into". As an instruction, it should be "Cut a/the lemon in half".
The imperative "Cut a apple to half" has two errors. 1) It should be "an apple". 2) "to" should be "in".

Please take note of all this advice and make sure you follow it (especially the list of rules on capitalisation and punctuation) in all your future posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.