What is the example of the phrase "not occur until"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
Kenya
For example: X will not occur until Y have occurred.

does this mean X will occur after Y or does it mean X and Y will occur at the same time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For example: X will not occur until Y [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] has occurred.

Does this mean X will occur after Y or does it mean X and Y will occur at the same time.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

It means that X will occur after Y.

Remember to start every new sentence with a capital letter. I have corrected the "d" on "Does" above. "Y" is singular so you needed the third person singular present perfect form of "occur".

bogox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
Kenya
First of all, am very thankful for your wonderful explanation because now i understand what the phrase meant.
Also I should have mentioned that my English is quite horrible so please bear with me.

You've answered my question completely and now I can mark this thread as solved.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First of all, I am very thankful for your wonderful explanation because now I understand what the phrase [STRIKE]meant[/STRIKE] means.
Also, I should have mentioned that my English is quite horrible so please bear with me.

You've answered my question completely and now I can mark this thread as solved.

Note my corrections above. Remember to capitalise the word "I" every time you write it. Your English is not horrible at all. You're a learner! There are members of all levels on the forum, from real beginners to upper advanced.

bogox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
Kenya
Oh you people are very kind, so thank you. I can't write many words because you will have to correct me all over again. I have also read your wonderful advice and I will keep it in my mind every time I write.

But I say thank you very very much, I am sincerely grateful always.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm glad you're enjoying the forum. Remember that our corrections are not criticisms. Every time we correct something you write, it's because we are trying to help you. Worry less about your level and just continue to enjoy learning!

Whilst it's nice to see posts expressing users' gratitude, please just use the "Thank" button in future. It saves time for everyone.

bogox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
Kenya
Alright I totally understand you, I am grateful, I just came here yesterday, I don't know where all the buttons & emojis are but with time I'll master the interface.

Edit: I have found the buttons(Thanks,Like), yeah.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, you already found the "Thank" button once - you clicked it for my reply in post #4.

bogox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
Kenya
Forgive my ignorant, I have found them and clicked them in the posts above, I've also edited and said I found them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Great. Since you said you could now consider this thread "solved", I am closing it so you can move on to your next question when it comes up.

Status
Not open for further replies.