Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What is the meaning of "on the tools" in the following sentence. 3rd pharagraph

But while foreigners are coming to New Zealand in droves, the number of young Kiwis wanting to work in construction is also breaking records.

New Zealand Certified Builders chief executive Grant Florence said it's interesting it's at an all-time high.

The problem is the Kiwi trainees won't be on the tools for a few years yet.

I understand that it means: Kiwi trainees will not be available for a few years. Please explain the phrase itself.
Is it looking to manpower as tools? But it is with the preposition "on". I checked the dictionary but couldn't find an entry for on tools.

J

J&K Tutoring

Re: What is the meaning of "on the tools" in the following sentence. 3rd pharagraph

I'm pretty confident that it means the trainees will not be experienced enough to operate the big, complicated 'tools' of heavy construction, such as cranes, loaders, bulldozers, etc. They are already 'qualified' to operate a shovel, but that's not glamorous enough to draw them to the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Re: What is the meaning of "on the tools" in the following sentence. 3rd pharagraph

Thanks for reply.
So here tools really means tool. It is not a phrase.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks for your reply.
So here "tools" really means "tool". It is not a phrase.

No, "tools" here means "tools". A plural noun rarely means a singular noun. Perhaps you meant simply to make it clear that you now understand that the word "tools" literally refers to [some of the] tools that these people will use once they are qualified builders.

nigele2

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

But while foreigners are coming to New Zealand in droves, the number of young Kiwis wanting to work in construction is also breaking records.

New Zealand Certified Builders chief executive Grant Florence said it's interesting it's at an all-time high.

The problem is the Kiwi trainees won't be on the tools for a few years yet.

Sorry it took so long, but after a few communications with my New Zealand contacts the answer is summed up by:

"I think that he made it up. There are complaints from the building trade that there are no apprenticeships any more. Instead young people have to go to the equivalent of British tech colleges to be trained before they are allowed to work. Consequently there is a lag between people deciding to be builders and actually starting work, as there is for teachers or nurses."

My friends looked at "
Dictionary of Slang in New Zealand" among other sources but could not find any reference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.