[General] What is the meaning of 'the man' (The Good Doctor written by Neil Simon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclaire1004

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi. I'm a non-native English speaker.
This is the ending part of a scene of a play, The Arrangement in The Good Doctor written by Neil Simon.

BOY: Are there any "instructions" you want to give me?
FATHER: That’s what I’m paying her good money for. The questions you ask . . . Go on, boy ── before I have to pay her overtime.
BOY: Yes, Father . . . I'm going, I'm going . . . (He stops)
FATHER: What is it now?
BOY: It's funny, but when I come down those stairs and out into the street . . . I won't be your little Antosha any more . . . I'll be Anton the Man. Thank you, Father. Well, goodbye. (He gets to the door)
FATHER: Wait! (Anton stops) Wait ── Antosha!
BOY: What is it, Father?
FATHER: I was just thinking . . . Wouldn't you rather have a nice umbrella? . . . There's plenty of time next year to become a man . . . Plenty of time next year . . .
BOY: If you wish, Poppa. Yes, Poppa.
(The FATHER puts his arm around his son's shoulder, and they turn and walk off into the night . . . Music plays as the the stage dims out)

I want to know the meaning of 'the man' used in the sentence "I'll be Anton the Man."
That is, I wonder whether the son is using the word 'the man' to praise himself for the experience he'll have or to mean simply an adult male.
In my opinion, considering his original name is used, he is not loath to intercourse with a woman, but rather wants to be in confident mood and feels proud of himself.
I would appreciate it if you give me some idea of the above question and which tone is used in his speech.
Thank you very much.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi. I'm a non-native English speaker.
This is the ending part of a scene of a play, The Arrangement in The Good Doctor written by Neil Simon.

BOY: Are there any "instructions" you want to give me?
FATHER: That’s what I’m paying her good money for. The questions you ask . . . Go on, boy ── before I have to pay her overtime.
BOY: Yes, Father . . . I'm going, I'm going . . . (He stops)
FATHER: What is it now?
BOY: It's funny, but when I come down those stairs and out into the street . . . I won't be your little Antosha any more . . . I'll be Anton the Man. Thank you, Father. Well, goodbye. (He gets to the door)
FATHER: Wait! (Anton stops) Wait ── Antosha!
BOY: What is it, Father?
FATHER: I was just thinking . . . Wouldn't you rather have a nice umbrella? . . . There's plenty of time next year to become a man . . . Plenty of time next year . . .
BOY: If you wish, Poppa. Yes, Poppa.
(The FATHER puts his arm around his son's shoulder, and they turn and walk off into the night . . . Music plays as the the stage dims out)

I want to know the meaning of 'the man' used in the sentence "I'll be Anton the Man."
That is, I wonder whether the son is using the word 'the man' to praise himself for the experience he'll have or to mean simply an adult male.
In my opinion, considering his original name is used, he is not loath to intercourse with a woman, but rather wants to be in confident mood and feels proud of himself.
I would appreciate it if you give me some idea of the above question and which tone is used in his speech.
Thank you very much.

I think "Antosha" is a diminutive name assigned to Anton by his father, indicative of his father's treatment of him as a little boy. Anton's statement was one of rebellion against that idea.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
IMO, it's not really much of a rebellion, considering the "Thank you, Father" right after it. I believe it is more of a resigned statement, especially because later on they both decide "There's plenty of time next year to become a man".

Status
Not open for further replies.