Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi,
I am wondering why would anybody study pronunciation?! Why not just listen how a native speaker pronounce words?

Hi.
I am wondering why [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] anybody would study pronunciation. Why not just listen to how a native speaker pronounces words?

Some people don't have the opportunity to listen to native speakers. Also, there are a lot of different accents in the English-speaking world - the people who study pronunciation are usually looking for the most common usage.

as far as I am aware, studying pronunciation is not just about listening to how words are pronounced from a native speaker, but the lecturer would show the learner how to articulate a letter or a sound, like "Don't move your tongue when you say this or left up your tongue when you say that", etc... . And that's what seems strange to me. I think listening would be sufficient!

As far as I am aware, studying pronunciation is not just about listening to how words are pronounced [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] by a native speaker, but the lecturer would show the learner how to articulate a letter or a sound, like "Don't move your tongue when you say this" or [STRIKE]left[/STRIKE] "Lift up your tongue when you say that", etc. And that's what seems strange to me. I think listening would be sufficient!

Note my corrections above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back