What is the opposite phrase of 'small thanks'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I can't find out the opposite phrases of 'small thanks'. Please help me find out them. I will give the answers to all of you like as a thanks. Thank you!

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I can't find out the opposite phrases of 'small thanks'. Please help me find out them. I will give the answers to all of you like as a thanks. Thank you!

I have not heard of 'small thanks' as an idiomatic expression. I have heard of small talk. Big thanks? ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have also never heard of "small thanks". We say "thanks", "huge thanks", "many thanks".

At the beginning of a speech, someone might say "First, I would like to say a few thank-yous", but here "thank-yous" is a countable noun, hence "a few".

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I've found my answer by google. And you know this phrase comes from America, who explained its meaning also is American. It means 'a little thanks' and its opposite phrase is 'no small thanks'.
I am not sure about it, but this phrase is rather used popularly on the internet. Try googling it for more references. I believe you are an English native speaker and so this phrase surely is American English. Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Small thanks" means not the type of thanks that one should have got for the effort one put into something.

"There's small thanks in bringing up kids these days."
"I got small thanks for comprehensively answering that last question!" = I wasn't thanked at all, or I was accused of not answering it properly.

The opposite would occur when someone thanks you profusely for something you put almost no effort into, or perhaps you didn't even do at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.