Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think this one is correct

1 What is in the sky?

Is this one wrong?

2 What is it in the sky?
(we see something in the sky and want to elaborate.)

Without context I prefer #2.

I think this one is correct.
1 What is in the sky?

Yes, that one is possible.

Is this one wrong?
2 What is it in the sky?
(we see something in the sky and want to elaborate.)
You're right. That one is incorrect. You can, however, change one word to make it correct. Try and post below.

[/B]Yes, that one is possible.

You're right. That one is incorrect. You can, however, change one word to make it correct. Try and post below.

Sorry teacher, why is #2 wrong, please?
I should think which word I must change, but can you yourself say now, please?

Sorry teacher, why is #2 wrong, please?
It's ungrammatical.

I know I should [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] try to figure out which word I must change, but can you [STRIKE]yourself say now,[/STRIKE] tell me please?
The word is "it". If you use another words instead of it, the sentence can work. I'd like you to give it a go.

It's ungrammatical.

The word is "it". If you use another words instead of it, the sentence can work. I'd like you to give it a go.
Many thanks!
I think "What is that thing in the sky?" can be correct maybe.

But I found an example that "it" is correct:
We want to know what it is you are trying to say.

Why is "it" correct here, please?

Many thanks!
I think "What is that thing in the sky?" can be correct maybe.
Well done. Note also that even changing "it" to "this" or "that" would have fixed that sentence.

What is this/that in the sky?

But I found an example that "it" is correct:
We want to know what it is you are trying to say.
Why is "it" correct here, please?
That structure is different. Study both structures and post below if you still need help.

I note that Tara2 has now decided to take the discussion elsewhere.

https://www.englishforums.com/English/WhatIs/bxmqcq/post.htm

Tara: please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.

I note that Tara2 has now decided to take the discussion elsewhere.

https://www.englishforums.com/English/WhatIs/bxmqcq/post.htm

Tara: please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
Sorry, I rarely do this, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back