Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "Gregg's dad" call the UK both as Pomgolia and "disgusting sh* hole"?

The form "What? Pomgolia?" is not very clear in grammar to me.

===========================
Pomgolia
New Zealand term of abuse for Britain, reflecting the terrifying, dangerous wasteland that it has become. Used by British expatriates who have moved to NZ. Pom = Australian & NZ slang for a British person + suffix suggesting Mongolia, windblown desert area of Asia, renowned for its banditry, unpleasant climate and remoteness from civilisation.
An Auckland conversation I overheard:
Gregg: Do you think you'll ever go back to the UK, Dad?
*Gregg's dad: What? Pomgolia? Not f^cking likely, not after last time. I'm leaving that disgusting sh*t hole behind me.

Source: Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pomgolia

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "Gregg's dad" call the UK both [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] Pomgolia and "disgusting sh* hole"?

The form "What? Pomgolia?" is not very clear in grammar to me.

===========================
Pomgolia
New Zealand term of abuse for Britain, reflecting the terrifying, dangerous wasteland that it has become. Used by British expatriates who have moved to NZ. Pom = Australian & NZ slang for a British person + suffix suggesting Mongolia, windblown desert area of Asia, renowned for its banditry, unpleasant climate and remoteness from civilisation.
An Auckland conversation I overheard:
Gregg: Do you think you'll ever go back to the UK, Dad?
Gregg's dad: What? Pomgolia? Not f*cking likely, not after last time. I'm leaving that disgusting sh*t hole behind me.

Source: Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Pomgolia

The context should make it clear that Gregg's dad uses both of those terms to refer to the UK. As for "What?" that is clearly an interjection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.