Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Is it grammatical to write ..."This book is about what ? " instead of saying " What is this book about?"
It sounds odd to me but one of my colleagues said it can go so I want to make sure.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
If you're asking a question, this is ungrammatical in my opinion, but you'll hear it casual speech.
It was supposed to be a dialogue in a formal exam

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it grammatical to write ..."This book is about what ? " instead of saying " What is this book about?"
It sounds odd to me but one of my colleagues said it can go so I want to make sure.
I don't understand any of that, but I'm not as smart as the others.

"What is this book about?" makes perfect sense. Could you provide some context for the other one so it makes sense?

What does "it can go" mean?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Can it be used in a formal dialogue ?
I wouldn't expect it in any careful speech. Even in casual speech, you'll hear the correct form (What's this book about?) as much as if not more than this form (This book's about what?).

(I'm talking about English speaking societies.)

Last edited:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with 5jj. It's a pretty narrow window of context, but within that window, it could be perfectly natural. I've had occasion to use such a construction myself.

I've asked students things like "This paragraph is dealing with what?" or "The author's making a statement about what in this paragraph?"

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not what we'd call 'normal' word order but that doesn't make it ungrammatical. Since it does stray from the normal order, one would need a special reason to use it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It was supposed to be a dialogue in a formal exam

Do you mean that it was a line of dialogue that appeared in a formal exam?

The fact that an exam is formal doesn't mean that the language used in any given text in the exam is formal.

Can it be used in a formal dialogue ?

What do you mean? What would you consider an example of a formal dialogue?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I don't understand any of that, but I'm not as smart as the others.

"What is this book about?" makes perfect sense. Could you provide some context for the other one so it makes sense?

What does "it can go" mean?
Can work

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So far, including the word order in your title, you have given us three versions of the same question. You have given us (I've copied them exactly):

1. What this book is about ?
2. This book is about what ?
3. What is this book about?

#1 is wrong because that's the wrong word order for a question and you have put a space before the question mark.
#2 is wrong because you have put a space before the question mark. Technically, it's not the correct word order for a question. However, as the others have said, you might hear it in casual speech.
#3 is correct. It uses the standard word order for a question and there is no space before the question mark. In speech, most native speakers would contract the first two words to "What's".