Diary - Before I had covid, I was reading a difficult book.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Before I had covid, I was reading a difficult book. It always took me a long time to understand the context. However, after a few weeks of rest, I found it easier to read the book. It reminds me of the experience of learning Maths in the schools. Something I'd found hard became easier to understand the following year. I believe that happened because a break allows my brain to process new information.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An excellent first sentence as usual. 😊

It's hard for me to understand what you mean by "context" in the second sentence. In fact, I would probably say, "It was hard for me to understand."

Perhaps: "Something that was hard one year was easier to understand the next year."

I would say "math": in BrE its "maths".

@emsr2d2 will be by soon. 😊

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
It's hard for me to understand what you mean by "context" in the second sentence. In fact, I would probably say, "It was hard for me to understand."
It means the context.:ROFLMAO: To understand the meaning of words and paragraph. Also, what are the writer talking about or expressing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before I had Covid, I was reading a difficult book. It always took me a long time to understand the context. However, after a few weeks of rest, I found it easier to read. the book. It reminded me of the my experience of learning maths in the schools at school - something I'd [initially] found hard became easier to understand the following year. I believe that happened because a break allows my brain to process new information.
When you say "a few weeks of rest", do you mean that you took a break from reading the book or you rested completely for a few weeks?
It means the context - To understanding the meaning of words, and paragraph phrases Also, and what are the writer is talking about or expressing.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When you say "a few weeks of rest", do you mean that you took a break from reading the book or you rested completely for a few weeks?
Both. I didn’t do anything activity.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means the context.:ROFLMAO: To understand the meaning of words and paragraph. Also, what are the writer talking about or expressing.
That's not context. However, if you said had trouble understanding what you were reading because you were unfamiliar with the words used that would make sense. If you couldn't understand it because you were unfamiliar with the subject that would also make sense.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would write "experience in learning maths".
Reading something again after a lapse of time is like hitting the Refresh button on a pc; it allows you to look at things with a fresh perspective.