What/Which/Who do you think is more important to a company ...

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[My sentence]
What/Which/Who do you think is more important to a company, a leader who can inspire employees or a leader who can solve complex problems?
---
I have a feeling that all three options work in this context, but I'm not sure about the "what" one. What do you think?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I would use "what" there. Let's see what others have to say.

Good night!

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[My sentence]
What/Which/Who do you think is more important to a company, a leader who can inspire employees or a leader who can solve complex problems?
---
I have a feeling that all three options work in this context, but I'm not sure about the "what" one. What do you think?
[I just discussed it with a friend.]

Friend: All three work.

Me: Could you tell me about "what"? Can it be used to ask about "people" ?

Friend: Sure sometimes, like in your example. Sometimes 'who' is more appropriate. Some somewhat random examples:

"What technician did this?" - asking about a type of person.
"Who technician did this?" - is wrong.
"Who did this?" - asking about a person.
"What did this?" - asking in general. The answer could be a person, could not be.

Me: And this is a question of choosing from a limited number. Can we use "what" [rather than "which"] in this context?

Friend: Using 'which' makes it more clear that the question is exclusively about the options being presented. In your example, the options are presented in the question, so it's equally appropriate to use which', and 'what' also works.

"What color do you like?" - open ended question, I can answer however I like.

"Which color do you like?" - I'm expecting to have options to choose from. If they've not already been mentioned, I'll respond with "From which options?"

"It comes in green or red, what/which color do you like?" - same thing to me.
---
I agree with the friend, but I'd also like to hear your opinion. :)

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

The question is asking you to choose specifically from two types of leaders. I think "which" is more appropriate.
"What" is appropriate if the question is open without providing choices, and the answer is expected to state the attributes/strengths (being inspiring, good at problem-solving, etc.) of the leaders. "Who" is more to do with the roles of a leader, whether the person is a motivator/role-model/adviser/mentor etc.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "which" is okay there, but I wouldn't use "who" unless I had some specific people in mind. For example: "Who do you think would be better at that job -- Bob or Bill?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, start a new thread with your "could" question. Two, If you are going to make a list of sentences you can't use that one could be endless.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Two things. One, start a new thread with your "could" question. Two, If you are going to make a list of sentences you can't use that one could be endless.
Are you replying to me? 😅

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
All right, I have two things too. :)
One, post #3 talks about the same question as post #1. Two, I don't understand your second opinion. We in post #3 were discussing why "what" can be used in my original sentence in post #1. ;)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Two, If you are going to make a list of sentences you can't use that one could be endless.
I think Tarheel was referring to this:

"Who technician did this?" - is wrong.
However, since that's the only example in this whole thread where you gave a sentence that can't be used, I have no idea why Tarheel thought you were going to make a "list of sentences you can't use". @Tarheel - can you explain this one please?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with your friend. All three are possible. My preference is for "which", purely because two clear options are presented at the end of the question. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear "What" from people who are thinking of it as "Having a leader ...", and "Who" from those who are thinking of the actual people (the leaders).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. It was only that one sentence. But that post is extremely long.