Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
China
Hey guys, I want to use conditional tense to describe a situation where two people in an extended family have the same name.
In this case, is the following sentence correct in terms of English tense? more specifically, the use of English tense for the verbs in bold color. Thank you for your help.
"I occasionally wonder what would happen if two people in an extended family shared the same name. Perhaps, people had to distinguish them by their nickname."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"I occasionally wonder what would happen if two people in an extended family shared the same name.

That's correct.

Perhaps, people had to distinguish them by their nickname."

Do you mean you wonder what would happen if people had to distinguish them by their nicknames? Or do you mean that people would have to distinguish them by their nicknames if they shared the same name?

llydonlll

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
China
That's correct.

Do you mean you wonder what would happen if people had to distinguish them by their nicknames? Or do you mean that people would have to distinguish them by their nicknames if they shared the same name?
I mean that people would have to distinguish them by their nicknames if they shared the same name. I made a mistake and I see what you meant. Thank you for the reply, jutfrank. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.