Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'With real-time information, on the spot reports and in-depth investigations, it tells you what's on in the world.'

---------

The above is a quote from a media network's self-introduction on its television news program. Does 'what's on' mean 'what's happening' here? Thank you.

'With real-time information, on the spot reports and in-depth investigations, it tells you what's on in the world.'

---------

The above is a quote from a media network's self-introduction on its television news program. Does 'what's on' mean 'what's happening' here? Thank you.

Well yes, it means "what's going on in the world", the newest tendencies, events.. A common question when watching or going to watch TV is: What's on today? meaning which programmes, films... are shown.

---------

*****NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, jiaruchan.

(1) I agree 100% with MASM.

(2) I personally think that "what's on in the world" is not quite idiomatic.

(a) It should be either "what's going on" or "what's happening/ occurring."

(3) As MASM said, "What's on" can = What program is on TV/radio.

(a) That little word "on" is used in many, many ways.

(i) For example, a friend might ask: Hey! What's on for today? = That is, what plans do you have scheduled for today?

If you get some extra time, it would really benefit your English if you studied a good bilingual dictionary that has the many phrases with "on."

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back