Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

When Anna started to go out with Stephen, people warned her off him. He was not to be trusted, he was a scoundrel and a criminal, and he was going to make her pregnant and then leave her with a child. Anna had listened patiently to all those well-wishers but never changed her mind. Fiver years later, she and Stephen had two children and lived in a happy marriage. Anna never regretted her choice and she believes you should always listen to your heart.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When Anna began going out with Stephen, people warned her off him. He was not to be trusted, he was a scoundrel and a criminal, and he was going to make her pregnant and leave her with child. Anna listened patiently to all those well-wishers but never changed her mind. Fiver years on, she and Stephen had two children and were happily married. Anna has never regretted her choice. She believes you should always listen to your heart.

"Five years later" is not wrong. "With child" and "happily married" are the idioms. The last sentence should be split: the two clauses are not constructed in parallel.

Last edited:

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, it is. But the three clauses if that sentence run on very naturally. Don't you think semicolons would slow down the rhythm too much?

If people thought was not to be trusted because was a criminal and would knock her up, then a colon is the proper punctuation. But his putative deceitfulness, criminality and irresponsibility sound like three independent things people held against him.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, it is. But the three clauses [STRIKE]if[/STRIKE] in that sentence run on very naturally. Don't you think semicolons would slow down the rhythm too much?
Not really.

If people thought he was not to be trusted because he was a criminal and would knock her up, then a colon is the proper punctuation. But his putative deceitfulness, criminality and [STRIKE]irreaponsibility[/STRIKE] irresponsibility sound like three independent things people held against him.
Perhaps.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I do regret, very much, the uncaught typos. Posting from a phone presents real dangers!

But the rule against comma splices is hardly absolute.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
abaka,

I appreciate teechar's knowledge and opinion, but I have to agree with you. I have read a few books written by editors, and they recommend that a writer should not stick to the comma splice rule if it interrupts the flow of a sentence. Of course, I am not a native speaker, but I feel that this is one of the cases when you can ignore the rule.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Five years later is not wrong, but Fiver years on is.
;-)

Last edited:

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But "five years on" is not. :-D

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I disagree with Bassim on this one. Those comma splices are always easy to fix. Also, it's hard to imagine reading a book written by an editor.
:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.