When I had watched TV, I did my homework.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I made up the following example:

Yesterday, I came home from school early. I had dinner and then went outside. When I returned, I had supper, cleaned my room and then fed the dog. When I had watched TV, I did my homework. After that, I took a shower and went to bed.

If the bolded "had" is included, then what's meant is "I did my homework after watching TV.". Without the "had", what's meant is "I did my homework while watching TV.". Is my understanding correct?

When I watched TV, I did my homework. That sentence is not natural.

I did my homework while watching TV. That one is.

If the bolded "had" is included, then what's meant is "I did my homework after watching TV.". Without the "had", what's meant is "I did my homework while watching TV.". Is my understanding correct?
No. See above. Also, say, for example: "I did my homework after watching (some) TV" or "I watched (some) TV, and then did my homework".

How about this sentence from another thread:

When I washed the cat, it ran off into the bushes in disgust.

Does it work because it has two different subjects ("I" and "it")? As I understand from the reply @Skrej gave in that thread, the sentence means that the cat ran off into the bushes while the speaker was washing it.

When I had washed the cat, it ran off into the bushes in disgust.

The version with "had washed" means that the cat ran off into the bushes after the speaker finished washing it (according to what @sitifan said in post #6). Is what he said correct?

When I washed the cat, it ran off into the bushes in disgust.

Does it work because it has two different subjects ("I" and "it")?
No. That's irrelevant.
As I understand from the reply @Skrej gave in that thread, the sentence means that the cat ran off into the bushes while the speaker was washing it.
No. Skrej said it allowed for the possibility that the cat ran off as soon as you started.

If the above sentence is correct and has the following meaning: "After I finished washing the cat, it ran off into the bushes in disgust.".
Why can't the sentence about watching TV be interpreted in the same way: "After I finished watching TV, I did my homework."?

The verbs "watch" and "wash" both imply duration, so it's kind of weird that the first sentence works whereas the second doesn't.

Why can't the sentence about watching TV be interpreted in the same way: "After I finished watching TV, I did my homework."?
It can.

Yesterday, I came home from school early. I had dinner and then went outside. When I returned, I had supper, cleaned my room and then fed the dog. When I had watched TV, I did my homework. After that, I took a shower and went to bed.
OK, if the underlined sentence means "After watching TV, I did my homework.", it should make sense in the context of post #1.
Also, say, for example: "I did my homework after watching (some) TV" or "I watched (some) TV, and then did my homework".
So, if what I want to convey is "After watching TV, I did my homework.", then I can use either my underlined sentence with "had watched" or one of the versions @teechar suggested in post #2, right? I thought @teechar didn't like my version for some reason.

Which one?
This one (the underlined sentence):

You're right. I don't like it.
Keep your tenses consistent throughout the paragraph. The past perfect is out of place there.

Can anyone give me an example of how to use the quoted sentence naturally?
If you're talking about "When I'd watched TV, I did my homework", then no. It's not a natural way of expressing anything. Use "When I'd finished watching TV, I did my homework".

How about this sentence:
Is it also a correct sentence that cannot be used naturally?

Yesterday, I came home from school early. I had dinner and then went outside. When I returned, I had supper, cleaned my room and fed the dog. Then, when I had washed the cat, it ran off into the bushes, so I had to go after it. After the chase, we were both dirty, so I washed it again and then took a shower myself.

Can I use the underlined part the way I have done?

Why would you want to? Stick with "Then, after I'd washed the cat, it ran off".

If they're correct sentences, how would a native speaker use them in context?
I'd use it in the context of washing the cat and then it running off into the bushes in disgust. What other context could it possibly fit? I'm not sure you're asking the right question.

Back