Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I'm trying to describe a situation when a person follows something with his eyes. I found "gaze follow" collocation.

Are these sentences correct and natural?

1. The footballer kicked the ball. His gazed followed it until it entered the goal.

2. There was an accident. The driver of the motorcycle was catapulted into the air. My gaze followed him until he slammed on the ground.

Do I have other options?

Last edited:
In both cases it's something that didn't take long. (Less that a second.) In the first one I would say watched. In the second one I would say saw.

I want to make it a tad dramatic.

The footballer kicked the bar towards the goal. He watched as it sailed past the goalie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A car cut in front of the motorcycle. Unable to stop, the motorcycle slammed into the car. The driver flew out of the motorcycle and landed on the pavement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

The footballer kicked the bar towards the goal. He watched as it sailed past the goalie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A car cut in front of the motorcycle. Unable to stop, the motorcycle slammed into the car. The driver flew out of the motorcycle and landed on the pavement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think?

I like them.

The [STRIKE]driver[/STRIKE] rider flew [STRIKE]out of[/STRIKE] off the motorcycle and landed on the pavement.

This might be an AmE/BrE difference but I would use the above. We don't refer to a motorcyclist as a driver, and you fall/fly off a bike because it's not something you are in, but on.

This might be an AmE/BrE difference but I would use the above. We don't refer to a motorcyclist as a driver, and you fall/fly off a bike because it's not something you are in, but on.
It's the same in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll accept flew off.

I want to describe the movement of eyes. I mean when I say his gaze followed...that connotes movement of eyes. But since gaze is not correct, what word can I use?

Can't you say that his eyes followed whatever it was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back