Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From a TOEIC test]
y6YPuN2.jpg

My name is Jim Saunders. What time am I supposed to give my seminar and where are the seminars being held?
---
1. Does the red text suggest that the seminars are taking place now?
2. So, the seminars last more than one day, and November tenth is just one of the days. Is that right?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My name is Jim Saunders. What time am I supposed to give my seminar and where are the seminars being held?
---
1. Does the red text suggest that the seminars are taking place now?
2. So, the seminars last more than one day, and November tenth is just one of the days. Is that right?
1. No. We frequently use the present continuous to refer to future actions. For example, "What time are you leaving tomorrow?"
2. Why do you think the seminars last for more than one day? There's only one date on the table in the screenshot.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
2. Why do you think the seminars last for more than one day? There's only one date on the table in the screenshot.
Because I thought "where are the seminars being held?" meant "they are happening now", and the man is asking about the seminars in November 10th; however, it is obvious that November 10th is some day in the future. So, I supposed that the seminars lasted for more than one day, i.e., from at least "today" to November 10th.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because I thought "Where are the seminars being held?" meant "they are happening now", and the man is asking about the seminars in on November 10th. However, it is obvious that November 10th is some day in the future no full stop here so no comma here I supposed that the seminars lasted for more than one day, i.e., from at least "today" to November 10th.
No. There's nothing to indicate that there are any seminars happening today. "Where are the seminars being held?" means "Where will the seminars be held?" You need to recognise this tense use because we use it a lot!
The plural "are" is used because there are five seminars being held on November 10th (there were six but one has been cancelled).

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Does the red text suggest that the seminars are taking place now?
It could mean that if the context supports it. It could also, as the posts above say, refer to a future anticipated event. The context and situation tell you which is meant and in this case it's the future.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's another.. "What time are we eating dinner?"

Status