"Where rest once beckoned, now restlessness did." meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
But in industrial economies, lawyers don’t tag in for brain surgery, and drill sergeants don’t harvest wheat—and the different jobs people do, requiring different skill sets, command (often vastly) different pay. As specialization spread and superior performance was rewarded, a cult of competition emerged: High achievers believed they could and should always toil harder for a fatter raise, bigger house, higher honor, or more wondrous breakthrough. Where rest once beckoned, now restlessness did. The productivity mode thrived—and it just might deserve credit (along with luck) for almost all scientific progress and technological ingenuity. But it also bears the blame for what Durkheim called a “malady of infinite aspiration,” which by now we’ve discovered is chronic. When a recent Pew Research Center survey asked about the secret to happiness, most Americans, of all ages, ranked “a job or career they enjoy” above marriage, children, or any other committed relationship. Careerism, not community, is the keystone in the arch of life.

What is the meaning of this sentence "Where rest once beckoned, now restlessness did."?I understand every single word, but when they go together, defeating me.

Thanks.

I have posted somewhere else https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/where-rest-once-beckoned-now-restlessness-did.3774710/

I didn't get the answer, so I post here.

source: Review: ‘Work,’ by James Suzman - The Atlantic

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Where rest once beckoned, now restlessness did.
In previous economies, rest (inactivity) was normal/attractive; now, the opposite is true - activity is the norm/attractive option.

Status
Not open for further replies.