Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Like all teachers, I’ve spent many hours correcting homework. Yet there’s a debate over whether we should be setting it at all.

Source: Homework: is it worth the hassle? by Helen Silvester

Why is "should be setting" use and not "should set"?

It adds an extra meaning. To put it simply, it gives the sense that setting homework is a current trend.

When I was in school (a long time ago) teachers would give us homework to do, or maybe they would send us home with it, but I don't remember "setting" at all.

"Like all teachers, I’ve spent many hours correcting homework. Yet there’s a debate over whether we should be setting it at all."

Source: Homework: is it worth the hassle? by Helen Silvester

Why is "should be setting" used and not "should set"?

When I was in school (a long time ago) teachers would give us homework to do, or maybe they would send us home with it, but I don't remember "setting" at all.
Possibly a British usage? The article is on the website of an English newspaper.

I'm in the UK and we were always "given homework". However, I am entirely familiar with the phrase "to set homework". It's certainly used in British schools these days (as my best friend's teenage son can attest to).

I usually 'give' my students homework, although I also 'assign' them homework. I've never 'set' them homework, though.

I suspect 'set' is exclusively BrE.

I usually 'give' my students homework, although I also 'assign' them homework. I've never 'set' them homework, though.

I suspect 'set' is exclusively BrE.
@Skrej I’m glad you “set” the record straight. ;) I’ve never heard the expression before today’s post.

Back