[General] Which one between Miss and Ma'am is more appropriate to use over the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson6612

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Which one between 'Miss' and 'Ma'am' is more appropriate to use over the phone? When I'm speaking with some female in person, I choose 'Miss' to address a younger looking female and 'Ma'am' for mature looking and elderly females. What's the proper etiquette to address a female over the phone? Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Ma'am" is better in general. Using "miss" can sound like you are condescending.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
SoothingDave, does your response mean you use "Ma'am" when speaking to women on the phone?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I'm speaking with some female in person, I choose 'Miss' to address a younger looking female and 'Ma'am' for mature looking and elderly females.

NOT A TEACHER

Please do be careful using the word "Ma'am" in certain parts of the United States.

I understand that traditionally people in the South use "Sir" and "Ma'am" on a regular basis.

In other parts of the States, however, some "mature" women may be offended by your addressing them as "Ma'am."

I am now 83, but when I was a mere 70, I replied to a "mature" lady with "Yes, Ma'am." She exploded with indignation: " 'Ma'am'?! You are older than me!" (After that, whenever I saw her coming down the hall, I went in another direction.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't imagine any American woman taking offense at being called "Ma'am" nowadays.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. A youngish woman may think "ma'am" means you think she's old, but that is infinitely better than having a full grown woman think you are belittling her.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You didn't specify AmE, so I will tell you that it's better not to use either in BrE. We are not used to being addressed so formally in the 21st century (or for latter part of the 20th century either, for that matter). I can't think of any circumstance in which I would be talking to someone on the phone and would need to use any such form of address.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Ems. I would use neither.

Status