Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
hi

I searched about this and I found this https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/129583-have-been-born-or-was-born

but I didn't understand because one of member said 'Have been' shows the cotinuity of action from a mentioned point of time (between two points of time)

but when we don't want to show the time we use present perfect like I have been to Italy
so it's not (between two points of time)

So I want to know which one is correct and why 'I have been born - I was born'

if you see any mistake in the subject like grammar plz tell me

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Remember that capital letters are necessary for proper English sentences. You used "I" correctly but you started your sentences with lower-case letters. Also, please avoid "chat" words like "plz" and write it out as "please."

Present perfect doesn't always mean that something continues up to today.
It can mean something that happened in the past that could happen again in the future: I've eaten at that restaurant. I've been to London.
It can mean something that happened in the very recent past: Did you hear? The president's been shot!
I can mean something that happened in the past that is relevant to the discussion you are having right now: Oh, I've encountered that error. Press F5.

You can't use it with a specific mention of a time in the past. You can't say "I've been to London three weeks ago."

You will not be born again.
I suppose in a cartoon, you could draw a little baby thinking "Yea! I've finally been born after nine months of waiting!" but in real life, it has no practical use.

Status
Not open for further replies.