Which sailors blow their noses most often? The Anchor Chiefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Would you please explain to me this pun? When a person blow their nose, it's one meaning. Does the other imply the front part of a ship (nose) and the wind blowing?

Which sailors blow their noses most often? The Anchor Chiefs.
Yacht Jokes

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It has nothing to do with the parts of a ship. "Anchor chief" sound like handkerchief. In my opinion it's an unfunny joke, but I almost never like puns.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The Anchor Chiefs.
It sounds like handkerchieves, as Probus says. Handkerchieves are used for blowing your nose into. Anchors are shipboard equipment and therefore connected to sailors. An anchor chief (if there's such a thing) is presumably the sailor in charge of operating the anchor.

It doesn't sound particularly funny when it's explained.

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It sounds like handkerchieves, as Probus says. Handkerchieves are used for blowing your nose into. Anchors are shipboard equipment and therefore connected to sailors. An anchor chief (if there's such a thing) is presumably the sailor in charge of operating the anchor.

It doesn't sound particularly funny when it's explained.
Thank you for the explanation, but for me the problem with such puns doesn't usually go beyond the "what it sounds like" step, the rest is obvious. In fact, this one was easy enough, I should have guessed it myself. Probably the word "handkerchief" was deep down in my passive vocabulary.:D

güey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Puns and pockets.

Me, enjoy them, although I agree the OP isn't a very amusing one. However, here's a great one. The setup is masterful.
A play on weevils and evils is obvious, but I feel there must be something more to that, something related to "the service"?:unsure:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Nope. That's the entire joke. As @Skrej said, it'a superb pun, perhaps the only one I've ever liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.