Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
to blow at something

Is "at" the right proposition for "blowing at something"? What about "on"?
My intent is to tell someone to blow air out of their mouth at let's say a rock: "Blow at it!"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why would you tell somebody to blow at or on a rock?

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Why would you tell somebody to blow at or on a rock?
I just picked that as a random example for a generic object. The actual context in which I'd use the phrase is: "Maybe your problem will go away if we just blow at it. Phhh. Did it work?" But I wanted to avoid that due to the risk of someone claiming that doesn't make any sense and starting a debate off of that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just picked that as a random example for a generic object. The actual context in which I'd use the phrase is: "Maybe your problem will go away if we just blow at it. Phhh. Did it work?" But I wanted to avoid that due to the risk of someone claiming that doesn't make any sense and starting a debate off of that.
As you suspected, that makes less sense than the rock example.

Why don't you think of something that people actually blow towards?!

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think it works okay if you remove at it:

"Maybe your problem will go away if we just blow. Phhh. Did it work?"

Another question is how best to write the blow sound. I'd suggest 'pfft'.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
As you suspected, that makes less sense than the rock example.

Why don't you think of something that people actually blow towards?!
Because the only thing I can think of is an irregular example, candles, to which people will probably just say "it's 'blow out' candles", I think. Or that maybe the shape/size/consistency of the object blown at may influence which preposition can be picked.
Perhaps I just picked a rock because it's a normal-sized object that doesn't do anything special when it's blown at.
I also thought that if I intend to use the phrase for something nonsensical then perhaps the object which should be blown at should also be a somewhat nonsensical example. But perhaps I was just overthinking garbage there.
And now that I'm thinking about it again, maybe I should've just said "blowball" instead.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess it can work if used humorously.

It seems that the rather indelicate expression "That blows!" has been replaced by the less delicate expression "That sucks!"

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When you blow on something in order to remove it, you blow it away.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
When you blow on something in order to remove it, you blow it away.
Got you. And if I simply describe the act of blowing on something without wanting to focus on the result, "blowing on" should work, right? And "blowing at" doesn't work for that?

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I guess it can work if used humorously.
That's my intent, being humorous and cutesy.
It seems that the rather indelicate expression "That blows!" has been replaced by the less delicate expression "That sucks!"
How does that relate to what I said?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, "blowing on" works there.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If the idea is that the target is intended to receive the force of moving air, then 'on' is the correct preposition. The core sense is contact.

The preposition 'at' has a sense of direction. So you could say 'blow at' if you mean 'blow in the direction of'.

If the sense is removal of an object, then 'blow away'.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
If the idea is that the target is intended to receive the force of moving air, then 'on' is the correct preposition. The core sense is contact.

The preposition 'at' has a sense of direction. So you could say 'blow at' if you mean 'blow in the direction of'.

If the sense is removal of an object, then 'blow away'.
If we're really thinking of "at" as just describing direction, then I believe it doesn't work for what I'm saying and "on" is the right preposition.
I just tried comparing it with the German "zu" in "zu ihm gucken" = "(to) look at him" which would in regards to my initial example be made into "zum Problem pusten" and that doesn't sound right to me, opposed to ("auf das Problem pusten" = on).
On the other hand, what if we went with the translation of "at" that says "used as a function word to indicate the goal of an indicated or implied action or motion, eg. 'aim at the target'"? Wouldn't that simply declare the blowball/problem as a target without really describing the direction? The German equivalent, "auf etwas zielen", has the preposition "auf" again, which I like. So, I feel like "at" could work in English for that as well.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If we're really thinking of "at" as just describing direction, then I believe it doesn't work for what I'm saying and "on" is the right preposition.

Yes, right.

I just tried comparing it with the German "zu" in "zu ihm gucken" = "(to) look at him" which would in regards to my initial example be made into "zum Problem pusten" and that doesn't sound right to me, opposed to ("auf das Problem pusten" = on).

Yes.

You may compare German and English but don't translate.

On the other hand, what if we went with the translation of "at" that says "used as a function word to indicate the goal of an indicated or implied action or motion, eg. 'aim at the target'"? Wouldn't that simply declare the blowball/problem as a target without really describing the direction?

No. The core sense of 'at', as I already told you, is direction, not contact. In your context, contact is required, otherwise there will be no force to remove the problem.

Imagine you and I are on different sides of the same room. If I 'blow at' you, you won't feel the air because you're too far away. I can blow in your direction but it doesn't mean I'll make contact. In fact, blowing at you implies that there is no contact made.

The German equivalent, "auf etwas zielen", has the preposition "auf" again, which I like. So, I feel like "at" could work in English for that as well.

If you 'aim at a target', the sense is direction, not contact. Be very careful with translating German prepositions. When I say 'be careful', I mean don't do it, ever.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
No. The core sense of 'at', as I already told you, is direction, not contact. In your context, contact is required, otherwise there will be no force to remove the problem.
If you 'aim at a target', the sense is direction, not contact.
Okay, I can see how "aiming" can be seen as describing a direction. And since you're the native speaker and think that the usage of "at" I suggested doesn't work for what I'm trying to say after having heard my line of thought behind it I will accept "on" as the definite(?) answer to my question.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay, I can see how "aiming" can be seen as describing a direction.

No. I mean that the sense of the preposition 'at' is direction. I wasn't talking about the verb 'aim'.

And since you're the native speaker and think that the usage of "at" I suggested doesn't work for what I'm trying to say after having heard my line of thought behind it I will accept "on" as the definite(?) answer to my question.

It doesn't matter that I'm a native speaker, and I don't 'think' anything. I'm telling you what the prepositions mean.

I don't know what line of thought you're talking about and I don't even know which question you're asking me now. In post #5 I gave you my suggestion for what you could say. It didn't include any preposition.

ghoul

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
It doesn't matter that I'm a native speaker, and I don't 'think' anything. I'm telling you what the prepositions mean.
Why does it not? I think that's a good way to decide whose opinion I should value more.
You're saying that you're telling facts and not an opinion, right?
I suppose you're right and that me speaking of everything as an opinion is a bit of a habit of mine. People tend to state a lot of things as facts after all and then it turns out they're wrong or there's more to it. I suppose, you could argue I shouldn't doubt a teacher telling me how a basic preposition works and I'd see where you're coming from. Anyways.
No. I mean that the sense of the preposition 'at' is direction. I wasn't talking about the verb 'aim'.
Oh, I think I should've phrased it "Okay, I can see how 'aiming at' can be seen as describing a direction." Or maybe not? We're moving into brainy territory I'm starting to feel like an imposter that doesn't know what he's talking about but wants to participate in the conversation and sound smart.
I don't know what line of thought you're talking about and I don't even know which question you're asking me now.
By line of thought I meant the comparison to German prepositions. Don't know if I misused the phrase but what I was trying to say was that since I'm sure you understood what kind of preposition I was looking for, especially after getting the full picture because of me having made the comparison to German prepositions, that makes me trust your answer more
I meant the question if "on" or "at" works for blowing at a random object (as well as which of them means what. I didn't specifically ask the latter but needed to know it).
In post #5 I gave you my suggestion for what you could say. It didn't include any preposition.
Oh, I had forgotten about that already because I didn't like how it sounded and just dismissed it mentally.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@ghoul You are way too advanced to be comparing English prepositions to English prepositions. It can't helpful at this point -- not unless you want to have a discussion about comparative linguistics. (That's an opinion, not a fact. 😊)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Why does it not?

There are some native speakers who are terrible teachers with a terrible understanding of English, and then there are some non-native speakers who are outstanding teachers with an outstanding awareness of English.

You're saying that you're telling facts and not an opinion, right?

That's right.

I suppose you're right

I'm a professional teacher who gets paid to teach this kind of thing. Furthermore, I've spent much of the last fifteen years studying the meanings of prepositions.

People tend to state a lot of things as facts after all and then it turns out they're wrong or there's more to it.

That's absolutely right. The world is full of bullshitters. Throughout life, you'll learn ways to deal with this, hopefully.

I suppose, you could argue I shouldn't doubt a teacher telling me how a basic preposition works and I'd see where you're coming from.

Do I really need to 'argue' this?

Oh, I think I should've phrased it "Okay, I can see how 'aiming at' can be seen as describing a direction." Or maybe not?

Think about when you wave at someone, or when you smile at someone, or shout at someone. In these cases, you are waving, smiling, and shouting in their direction. This sense of directionality is just one of the several senses that 'at' has.

We're moving into brainy territory I'm starting to feel like an imposter that doesn't know what he's talking about but wants to participate in the conversation and sound smart.

You'd do better just to listen to our answers. You don't have to try and sound smart.

By line of thought I meant the comparison to German prepositions. Don't know if I misused the phrase but what I was trying to say was that since I'm sure you understood what kind of preposition I was looking for, especially after getting the full picture because of me having made the comparison to German prepositions, that makes me trust your answer more.

I do feel confident that I understand what you mean, yes. You're suggesting, probably sarcastically, that if you blow on the problem, it will blow the problem away.

As I said before, don't translate. Translating prepositions between German and English sometimes works but not often enough to be reliable. It can even hinder learning if you rely on it too much.

I meant the question if "on" or "at" works for blowing at a random object (as well as which of them means what. I didn't specifically ask the latter but needed to know it).

I'll say it again. If you blow on something, it means that your breath makes contact with the target object. If you want to blow it away (so that it moves out of the picture) you obviously have to make contact. Now, if you use 'at', it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't make contact, but just that you're performing the blowing action in the object's direction.

Is that clear?

Oh, I had forgotten about that already because I didn't like how it sounded and just dismissed it mentally.

I don't know what you expect me to say to this. What does it matter whether you like it or not? What does 'liking it' even mean?

Last edited: