Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Bella arrived home late from school that day. When she walked past her mother’s room, she found her mum was still in bed, and seemed very weak.
Bella entered her room and heard the cries from her little sister. She knew her dad would expect her to look after her sister and she also had to prepare meals for the whole family as her mom did before. Bella thought it was not fair because she also had schoolwork to do just like everyone else in her class. Why did she have to be the grown-up?
When she got out of the room, she saw her dad sitting at the kitchen table, lonely and tired. Suddenly, something happened inside Bella. She realized that her father, as well as a husband, must be really worried.

Source: Senior High School Entrance Exams, English Test, Henan Province, 2022

I have two questions about the passage above.
1. Why did she have to be the grown-up?
This sentence sounds odd to me. What about rewording like this?
Why did she have to work as a grown-up?

2. She realized that her father, as well as a husband, must be really worried.
The use of “as well as a husband” here looks strange to me. Is it used correctly?

1. The original sentence is better.
2. It looks very strange to me, too. I don't know what message the writer intended to convey.

Maybe the writer wants to express “as the head of the family” or “as the bread earner of the family”.

The part that reads as well as a husband is wrong. The idea that the writer is trying to convey is that he is worried with respect to both of his familial roles— as a father and as a husband.

It's a bit difficult to express the concept well, actually.

Perhaps something like "She realized that her father, as both a parent and a husband, must be really worried."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back