Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone,

This is a cleft sentence right?

What I need right now is an ice cream.

My question is, why do they call it cleft? What has been separated or split here? Clef means to divide or separate two things, doesn't it?

This is the original sentence: I need an ice cream. Cleft sentence: What I need is an ice cream.

I wonder why they are called cleft sentences.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[STRIKE]Clef[/STRIKE] Cleave means to divide or separate two things, doesn't it?
"Cleft" is a past participle and adjective form of the rarely-used but interesting verb cleave. Not only does "cleave" have another adjective form, cloven (seen only in the fixed phrase cloven hoof); it's also a member of the exclusive fraternity of contranyms.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"Cleft" is a past participle and adjective form of the rarely-used but interesting verb cleave. Not only does "cleave" have another adjective form, cloven (seen only in the fixed phrase cloven hoof); it's also a member of the exclusive fraternity of contranyms.

Yes. But why are those sentences are called cleft sentences?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In a cleft sentence, a sentence one element is put in a separate clause. It is 'cleft' from the original S-V-O pattern.

A sentence one element?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I guess I'm going to have to work on learning cleft sentences now.
:-|

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hello everyone,

This is a cleft sentence right? What I need right now is an ice cream.

My question is, why do they call it cleft? What has been separated or split here? Clef means to divide or separate two things, doesn't it?

This is the original sentence: I need an ice cream. Cleft sentence: What I need is an ice cream.

I wonder why they are called cleft sentences.

The idea is that a cleft sentence is formed by dividing a more elementary clause into two parts, so "I need an ice-cream" becomes "It's an ice-cream that I need" with a main clause at the front containing the meaningless dummy pronoun "it" as subject, and the rest in a 'conventional' relative clause.

But your example is actually a pseudo-cleft, as opposed to an it-cleft.

Again, the basic construction is split into two parts, but this time the foregrounded element is placed in a 'fused' relative construction, where "what" is understood as "that which" (or "the thing which"). The three constructions are thus:

I need an ice-cream. [non-cleft]
It's an ice-cream that I need. [it-cleft]
What I need is an ice-cream. [pseudo-cleft]

Status
Not open for further replies.