Why isn't "accomplish a success" correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwroc

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I acknowledge I asked that question on a different forum but I didn't get an answer. :oops:

According to Cambridge Dictionary:
accomplish --> to finish something successfully or to achieve something
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pl/dictionary/english/accomplish

So, if I can achieve a success and "accomplish" can mean also "achieve", why can't I use:
accomplish a success instead of achieve a success
??

It's because the verb accomplish cannot be used in the same sense that the verb achieve has in the phrase achieve success.

In other words, although accomplish and achieve do have an overlap of meaning, they are not exactly synonymous. Dictionaries like to provide synonyms to help the reader get an idea of a word's meaning, but there are actually very few true synonyms in language.

The typical object of the verb accomplish is a task or set of tasks, and we don't think of success as a task. We tend to think of success as a certain level that may be reached. For this reason, achieve success works well (note that success is an uncountable noun so no article is used) because the verb achieve can be used for this idea of level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back