Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in my text. I wrote it as an exercise, almost in one go.

I was strolling through the countryside, engrossed in my thoughts when I heard honking in the sky. I looked up and saw a flock of wild geese migrating to the south. The sounds of their wings and their V-formation reminded me of a large airplane. They were heading home, to the bright sun, green hills, blue rivers and meadows covered in flowers. How I wished I could have joined them and fly away, leaving my life here behind! Unfortunately, my wings have been sheared away by years of failures, disappointments and delusions. My limbs are shackled by invisible chains; my body moves within a prison with invisible walls. I have condemned myself to isolation to keep my mind free, but the price I pay is high. I have become an object of derision. People point at me and say, “Look at that idiot! He never talks to anyone. There must be something wrong with him.” I hear every word they say, every insult and abuse, and I just walk on, pretending I heard nothing. I know how they think, read their minds like open books. If I told them the truth, they would be furious. Who was I to tell them that all they had been taught from nursery to university was wrong? Who was I to tell them they would never be free as long as they never question the orders from the authorities? How dared I challenge their way of living and thinking when their achievements and values were recognized all over the world and other nations were looking up to them?

It is meaningless to have any discussion with such people because social engineering has turned them into obedient citizens who will never rebel, not even in their dreams. When you have voluntarily decided that the state knows the best, even how to bring up your own children, you don’t need to think at all. You only have to pay your taxes and bills and the rest will be arranged by the state. You have become an anonymous cog in a large machine, and you will be replaced as soon as your productivity has dropped. Only occasionally you are allowed to show signs of rebellion, preferably when you are drunk or psychotic because during those states of mind nobody will take you seriously.

If despite all state power some people will deviate from the prevalent views, they will find themselves alienated and excluded from their colleagues, friends and families. They will be met by silence, which is worse than a corporal punishment. They’d rather others shout at them, insult them or tell them in the face what they are thinking of them, but people would simply ignore them, which will have the same effect as torture. Even the strongest and the most independent mind is not able to sustain itself for a long time under such conditions without suffering grave consequences on physical and mental health. People here would probably forgive you if you have committed crimes, embezzled large sums of money or even killed someone, but they would never forgive you if you don’t think as they do. Your deviation is more dangerous than the global warming, flooding, cholera epidemic or earthquake. You dare to find a fault in their paradise they have built for decades, which is unforgivable. How dare you? What are your merits? What is your area of expertise? You are just envious of our success. Our state is our mother and father, and it knows the best what is good for us, and because you don’t appreciate it, move away and leave us in peace. This is how they would respond to you if they dared and if they were not afraid of themselves.
THE END

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've seen such sights, and they honk plenty loud. However, I can't imagine hearing the sound of their wings flapping. (They are much too far away when I see them.) Also, I wouldn't call them wild geese. (But that's not wrong.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How I wished I could have joined them and flown away.

The tenses must agree.

"My wings have been sheared away" is not quite natural. Try shorn, or worn away.

Only occasionally will you be ... Again, agreement of tenses.

If, despite state power, some people deviate ... The present rather than the future should be used here.

You can be alienated by not excluded from colleagues friends and families.

Tell them to their faces, not in their face.

Grave consequences to rather than on

More dangerous than global warming ... No definite article required.

The state knows best, not the best.

In future I will try to edit long pieces on a proper computer rather than on this tiny phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a good finish, especially:

People here would probably forgive you if you have committed crimes, embezzled large sums of money or even killed someone, but they would never forgive you if you don't think as they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.