Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
ENGLISH TEACHER

Context:
One of my students is taking his final exam.
I ask a question which he does not understand.
I say:
(A) Do not worry. I’ll reformulate the question.
(B) Do not worry. I’m going to reformulate the question.

I think either alternative could work.
(A) is surely OK (decision made at the moment of speaking / unpremeditated decision).
(B) too is OK because my students know that I’m in the habit of reformulating questions if they don’t understand them (premeditated decision).

What do you think?

Thank you.
WW

Usually I say there's little difference between those two, but in this case, only "I will" sounds right, unless you had previously planned to do it.

I wouldn't say B) is wrong, but I am not greatly convinced by it as it's not so much the habit you're referring to but your action on this occasion.

I wouldn't say B) is wrong, but I am not greatly convinced by it as it's not so much the habit you're referring to but your action on this occasion.

Usually I say there's little difference between those two, but in this case, only "I will" sounds right, unless you had previously planned to do it.

Yes, Barb, I had planned to do it. I know it's a difficult final exam for my students, so I've decided to help them throughout. This said, I believe it would be better to choose option (B). Do you agree?

Thank you, Tdol. Do you agree with the explanation I've given above?
WW

It would make more sense if you said it before you asked the questions to me.

It would make more sense if you said it before you asked the questions to me.

I'm sorry, Tdol, I don't understand your comment. Is it just me or was I unfair to you?
WW

Contrary to what some texts would say, to me, A sounds like you intend to reformulate the question presently, whereas B sounds like you intend to do so at a later time.

Contrary to what some texts would say, to me, A sounds like you intend to reformulate the question presently, whereas B sounds like you intend to do so at a later time.
In this particular case, I agree. However, I would use 'immediately' rather then 'presently', which, to this speaker of BrE, suggests 'in a short time'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back