Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello! I just want to ask if this is correct.

The winner takes it all.

I once heard it from a friend when I was a kid while we were playing a board game. I never googled the phrase until now, and found out that the original one is "winner takes all" so, my question is: is it OK to add the word "it"? If so, is there a difference between the winner takes all and the winner takes it all? Thanks in advance!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It's a set phrase without "it" (even "the" is dropped") commonly used for "rule of the game", though it's not wrong with "it".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@Yb167, you posted the same thread here.

Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a set phrase without "it" (even "the" is dropped") commonly used for "rule of the game", though it's not wrong with "it".
Exactly. My impression is that the 'it' was seldom if ever heard, until the Abba song - in which the 'it' is necessary for the rhythm. That song influenced the language, so that now I often hear the 'it' (chiefly in the speech of non-native speakers).