women's bodies when they are presented in public with a kind of anxiety and concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The phrase "women's bodies when they are presented in public with a kind of anxiety and concern" is not clear to me.

What do "they" refer to? Grammatically, "they" refer back to "women's bodies". Then "with a kind of anxiety and concern" would refer to "which cause a kind of anxiety and concern in other people's mind"? I am not sure. The phrase appears to be confusing to me.

=====================
Bracewell said using language such as "distracting" in the dress code sends a message to young girls that there's something inappropriate or unseemly about their bodies and that they have to compensate in some way.

"That's a bad message. That's a message that damages the self-esteem of young people," she said.

Bracewell said she thinks the yearbook issue reinforces that message.

Across the country, "This is a long-established practice of policing women's bodies and responding to women's bodies when they are presented in public with a kind of anxiety and concern," she said.

Source: USAToday

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Read it like this:

This is a long-established practice of policing women's bodies and responding to women's bodies [when they are presented in public] with a kind of anxiety and concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.