there is an event on Wednesday to help women grow with their money.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
LAS VEGAS, Nev. (FOX5) - As we near the end of Women’s History Month, there is an event on Wednesday to help women grow with their money.

Source: https://www.fox5vegas.com/2023/03/22/women-money-summit-event-be-held-las-vegas/

"There is an event on Wednesday to help women grow with their money" means "an event is on Wednesday to help women grow with their money".

"Is" means "take place". Does "is" also mean "take place"?

Last edited:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Does "is" also mean "take place"?
No. "Is" doesn't literally mean "take place". But the effect of "is" in that sentence is to show that an event will take place. Words get specific meanings from the context.

"There is an event on Wednesday" means "An event [is scheduled for]/[will take place on] Wednesday".

As I've mentioned a couple of times, analysing each word will not help you as much as trying to understand the sentence.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As I've mentioned a couple of times, analysing each word will not help you as much as trying to understand the sentence.
Ok. I'm trying to do that. Moreover, your answers make me understand the sentence as a whole.

Last edited:

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does "As we near the end of Women’s History Month" mean "when we near the end of Women's History"?

Last edited:

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No. "Is" doesn't literally mean "take place". But the effect of "is" in that sentence is to show that an event will take place. Words get specific meanings from the context.

What's the difference in meaning 'the effect of "is" in that sentence' and 'the effect of "is" on that sentence'?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
What's the difference in meaning 'the effect of "is" in that sentence' and 'the effect of "is" on that sentence'?
Why are you asking about "on" when I didn't use that word? If you don't understand what I meant by "in", just ask about that. That might be simpler.

The effect of "is" IN that sentence is X = The effect of "is", which is a word in that sentence, is X.

The effect of "is" ON that sentence is X = The effect that "is" has on that sentence is X. (This is not relevant here.)

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'd like to ask one more question.

1. There is an event on Wednesday to help women grow with their money
2. An event is on Wednesday to help women grow with their money

Do sentences 1 and 2 have the same meaning?

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
The second sentence isn't idiomatic. I'd understand it as meaning the same as the first.