Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering If I have used the word "cure" correctly in my sentences. I am not sure if my sentences sound natural.Would you please correct my mistakes?

1. Peter tried to cure his depression with pints of beer every day. (Do I need to add "with pints of beer he drunk every day" or the sentence is OK as it is?)
2. Anna had found the cure for her broken heart in starting learning at university.
3. A friend told John he should stop using all kinds of medicine and find the cure for his misery in himself.
4. The patient was cured by a new treatment, which was for the first time applied in medicine.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1. Peter tried to overcome his depression by drinking beer everyday.
2. Anna had found a remedy for her broken heart by taking up a course at university.
3. A friend told John that he should stop taking all kinds of medicine but search within himself to find the cause of his misery.
4. The patient was cured by a new treatment which was used for the first time.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
tedmc,
I have tried to use the word "cure" in my sentences.
Your corrections except in nr 4. do not help me to know if I could use "cure" in my sentences.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. Peter tried to cure his depression by drinking pints of beer every day. [STRIKE](Do I need to add "with pints of beer he drunk every day" or the sentence is OK as it is?)[/STRIKE]

2. Anna [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] found the cure for her broken heart [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] by starting a course at university.

3. A friend told John he should stop using all kinds of medicine and find the cure for his misery in himself.:tick:

4. The patient was cured by a new treatment, which was being used for the first time. [STRIKE]applied in medicine[/STRIKE].
You were correct to write 'every day' in #1. Ted's 'everyday' is wrong.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's understood that pints of beer are for drinking. I think it's more of a "treatment" than a "cure," however.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Bassim,
I think it sounds rather naive to use the word "cure" for the #1-3 but then again, it can be subjective. A cure is something which makes you fully recover from a condition.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
tedmc,
The word "cure" can be used in different contexts. It can be used literary, but also symbolically. In my first sentence, Peter tries to cure himself by drinking alcohol. "Cure" in my sentence has more layers of meaning than your "overcome." "Cure" makes you think about his state of mind and his desperate situation. The same I can say about my second sentence. Someone could tell his friend that "Anna found the cure for her broken heart...." which can be interpreted literary, but also as an irony. Nothing is wrong with your version with "remedy", but to me, its sound like a medical explanation. I am trying to use different kinds of synonyms which will create different connotations in different kinds of people. It is like music. Every person experiences it in its own way. Maybe to you "cure" sounds naive in my sentences, but to my ear, "cure" has much deeper meaning than a simple word.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I won't comment on whether "cure" is a suitable word, but I'd like to point out that you meant to use the adverb literally rather than the adjective ​literary.

Status
Not open for further replies.