Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dear teachers,

I have a question regarding the word-order in interrogative sentences. I think, the following two statements are grammatically correct; however, how do I explain the difference between them? (That is, when do we use No.2?)

1. Who is Shakespeare?

2. Who Shakespeare is?

Can the second sentence be said in situations like in a classroom for, instance, when the lecturer says, "Let me tell you who Shakespeare is"? Or, when it is becomes a heading in the slide show that goes,

"Who Shakespeare is:

1. He is an old bard of England.
2. He is the playwright of several...."

Thanks a lot.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Sentence 2 is incorrect because it's in declarative, not interrogative form and isn't complete. The other sample sentences with the phrase "who Shakespeare is" are both correct, but they aren't interrogative.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
2 is neither a sentence, nor a statement, nor a question. In grammar terms, it's a noun phrase.

As you know, it could be used as a title or heading, but not with the question mark at the end.

As you've also mentioned, it could be part of a longer grammatical sentence, such as Let me tell you who Shakespeare is. In this sentence, the noun phrase in question functions as the direct object of the verb tell.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much, jutfrank, for your clear explanation. I, truly, appreciate it.

Now, with yours and goestation's explanation, I have understood it much better.
While we appreciate the gratitude, we prefer that you express it by clicking the "Thank" link below the message. It saves time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.